Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Terrarium of Death

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're in California? You probably don't need a terrarium outside at all...

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Afraid you did indeed "cook" your plants. Think about how hot ANY enclosed space gets in the sun. Even a windowless wood shed can and typically does get extremely hot inside with a hot sun shining on it. (And wood is a very good insulator.) Of course, the time of year and latitude makes a big difference -- during the middle of winter in the great white north it certainly wouldn't be the case. But at your latitude, I imagine you are already getting warm days. (Though even this time of year, if it is a bright sunny day here in the north, my car interior will be significantly warmer than it is outside.)
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) hang a cheap thermometer inside so you can monitor it
    2) use a frame made of PVC pipe with sides of 50-70% shade cloth (basically a 3-sided shade box) and set this over the terrarium. You might be able to lower the temps by 10-20F this way, but ultimately you're better off growing in the open air or even somewhere out of direct sun.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I'm looking for a place to move the plastic tubs. It will probably be inside the house and shaded. I'm worried since some of the utrics have faded leaves, which I am guessing is a sign that it is too hot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with Mcantrell, you should ditch the terrarium when outdoors. Many plants should do well in Cali with the natural humidity.

Sorry about your loss! But I have to be honest with ya, I thought you were joking at first describing your situation as each detail spelled more death as you described it.

Really sorry for you having to learn the hard way losing plants in the process! Been in your shoes in other ways, best of luck getting new growing conditions sorted!
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Agree with Mcantrell, you should ditch the terrarium when outdoors. Many plants should do well in Cali with the natural humidity.

Sorry about your loss! But I have to be honest with ya, I thought you were joking at first describing your situation as each detail spelled more death as you described it.

Really sorry for you having to learn the hard way losing plants in the process! Been in your shoes in other ways, best of luck getting new growing conditions sorted!
    You are right. I don't use terrariums for my other plants and they did fine, but humidity in souther California isn't very high and I didn't want to risk them drying up. Also, many of them are tropical so I think they need higher humidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I admit I was in Central California near the coast and then inland up near Sacramento for a few years and plants did well. Perhaps your specific area is low. Do you have a hygrometer or anything to show how low it gets?
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a set up to maintain humidity for my orchids which consists of an aquarium with a false bottom made of light grid. I keep water up to a bit below the bottom of the grid, run a couple of airstones and keep the top open.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12