Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Canadian import regs?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Canadian import regs?

I was shown this recently and it appears to give the green light to the import of (non cites) Cp's from USA
    It would be great if our members from the Great White North could fully participate in NASC.

thoughts?

"Most plants or plant products originating from the Continental United States (U.S.) do not require a permit. To find out what plants or plant products require a permit from the Continental U.S., please consult the List of propagative plant material and other commodities that require an import permit if originating (i.e. place of propagation) from the Continental United States. We advise that you submit an application for a permit for all material being imported from any place other than the Continental U.S. Most import permits are valid for three years.....

Date modified:2014-02-16"

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants/p.../1343414628852

seems pretty black and white...

Last edited by Av8tor1; 03-23-2014 at 04:06 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But then we have this list:

Appendix 7: Houseplants for personal use (examples of eligible and non-eligible plants)

So if its not on the list, how do you know for sure?
    Who does makes the call?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Says "Note: These lists are not inclusive." I would assume that most or all cp's would be ok falling under the "Houseplants for personal use" category. Most of the non eligible plants all seem to be temperate agricultural or ornamental genera with potential concerns regarding pests, diseases, invasive behavior or (in the case of Nicotiana) FDA (or the Canadian equivalent) issues. If they can't provide a less ambiguous list then it looks to me like cp's are in the clear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will call CFIA tomorrow.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants/p...8041?welke2#a8

1.3 Regulated pests

Japanese beetle, Popillia japonica Newman

1.4 Regulated commodities

Rooted plants and plant root systems (e.g. bulbs, tubers) with soil and/or growing media.

1.5 Exempt commodities

Note: The following commodities are exempt only from the JB requirements described in this directive. Other requirements (e.g. phytosanitary certification) may apply if specified under other directives. Contact your local CFIA for more information or visit the CFIA website.

Plants and plant root systems (all underground propagative material, e.g. roots, rhizomes, tubers, corms, bulbs), whether dormant or growing, that are substantially free from soil and/or growing media. For the purposes of this directive, plants and plant root systems are considered substantially free from soil and growing media as long as the maximum size of any individual clump present on the material is less than 12.7 mm (0.5 inches) in diameter.

Unrooted plant material.

Plants produced entirely outside of the JB flight period (see section 2.3 for details).

Houseplants (non-commercial) which have been grown indoors in a home and not set outdoors as patio plants.

Material intended for consumption.

Plants produced under the Canadian Growing Media Program (see D-96-20: Canadian Growing Media Program, Prior Approval Process and Import Requirements for Plants Rooted in Approved Media) must be free of all life stages of JB, but the requirements described below (e.g., additional declarations, production in certified facilities) do not apply.
    1.6 Regulated areas

The areas regulated under this directive are Canada, the continental U.S. and Hawaii. "U.S." used in this directive indicates the continental U.S. states and the state of Hawaii.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 03-23-2014 at 10:42 PM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about into the USA?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems like there are two different issues here. One is whether the Canadian grower would need an import permit (I agree it looks like they don't), but the other is whether they need a US phytosanitary certificate with the shipment. To me it looks like they do still need phyto, which is prohibitively expensive in many cases, but maybe I'm not reading this right. Take a look at "general import requirements" and section 4.1/4.2 on this page:
    http://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants/p...323753560467#c

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then 4.7 in your link Mike seems to say its ok to import tropical/semi tropical houseplants from CONUS without phyto or import papers... but you must "personally" bring them in and limit the number to 50 plants.

So I guess Canadians can cross the border and personally bring in up to 50 "houseplants" for "personal use" without issue (assuming no species specific issues)

So who is our official Canadian mule for NASC LOLOLOLOL

Be nice if they would give a charity exemption....
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 03-24-2014 at 05:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast