What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shout Box Issue

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
I'm probably the only one since nobody has complained in the past few months and people still seem to be chatting, but I'm having an issue with the shout box. I'm using Chrome as I have been with TF since I joined. When I load the home page, the box shows up, but neither the "Newest Posts" nor the actual shouts show up.

I am able to see if I post a new topic or a reply, then navigate back to the home page. That doesn't make sense to me, but that's the way it is. By any chance, has anyone else had these issues? Even though I don't chat much now anyways, it's helpful for quick answers.

Thanks!

Like I told you in the shout box, when I first log in there's no chats in the box either, I just hit the Terraforums logo at the top, that reloads the homepage and then the chats show up. Not sure why it's like this but had been for some time.

terraforums.com does not display the chat box, clicking the logo refreshes it, and then the chatbox causes it to show up.

Hmm... wish I knew when that started so I would maybe have an idea of what to check first.... not sure why terraforums.com doesn't work but www.terraforums.com does (that's what happens when you click the banner... not just refreshing the page.)
Change your bookmark to be for www.terraforums.com and you wouldn't have to click the banner when you come in. I'll still try to figure it out though. :-\

Sure enough that did it Andrew (at least for me)! :)

I never would have thought to check the URL properties but adding the www in front makes it work perfectly. Weird.

while we're on the subject of forum errors... I'm still on the old white and blue forum theme. I've tried logging out and back in and emptying my history and cache, and restarting my computer. Nothing seems to work.

Did you scroll down to the very bottom of the web page and pick "Dark Green -SEO" as the style from the drop down in the bottom left? Alternatively click "Settings" on the very top right then pick "General Settings' from the panel on the left and look near the bottom under Miscellaneous Options and set the Forum Skin to "Dark Green - SEO" and save your settings. It should be the default setting if you click "Reset Fields" (then save).

Thanks NaN that seems to have worked!

Hmm... wish I knew when that started so I would maybe have an idea of what to check first.... not sure why terraforums.com doesn't work but www.terraforums.com does (that's what happens when you click the banner... not just refreshing the page.)
Change your bookmark to be for www.terraforums.com and you wouldn't have to click the banner when you come in. I'll still try to figure it out though. :-\

Probably 2 months ago or so, but my timescale is really dysfunctional. I was writing a topic a few days after it started happening but decided not to post it because I felt like it may just be a browser error or something temporary.

I just type int 't' to the URL bar in Chrome and it auto-fills to terraforums.com... When I type www.terraforums.com, the shout box appears. So at least I know what is causing it and how to fix it. Thanks for the replies!

Sure enough that did it Andrew (at least for me)! :)

I never would have thought to check the URL properties but adding the www in front makes it work perfectly. Weird.
I just found out about this recently too! I tried refreshing the page so many times before I realized what was going on. Also was the website down today? I kept getting errors when trying to load it.

Yep it was. Some error at the server company.

It's always been this way for me- often times all I see is "Loading..." and it never does anything. Minimizing/maximizing sometimes fixes it but usually it takes several reloads to bring it up. This is why we just need a proper IRC setup. :p InspIRCD(I think) has modules to make it possible for members to use the same username/pass as on the forum so we don't get any trolls or mysterious persons.

Back