Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carnivorous Paludarium HELP!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PieandPeas View Post
    I would prefer my plants to not have to have a dormancy period-through fear of them not returning! is this possible without using a heatmat? I suppose a microclimate would be established inside the viv, but kept in my room away from the window it's unlilkely to exceed room temp
    Most tropical plants don't need as harsh a dormancy. Sometimes a drier period, but no real temperature drop.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certain plants will require dormancy, so if you don't think you can support their needs during that time of their lifecycle you should not grow them. You should select your plants based on what conditions you will be able to provide. These include temperature, humidity, lighting, media, etc. If you can specify (or even estimate) what the conditions will look like in your setup, we will be able to recommend plants which can be grown successfully.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BioZest View Post
    Certain plants will require dormancy, so if you don't think you can support their needs during that time of their lifecycle you should not grow them. You should select your plants based on what conditions you will be able to provide. These include temperature, humidity, lighting, media, etc. If you can specify (or even estimate) what the conditions will look like in your setup, we will be able to recommend plants which can be grown successfully.
    As the project is not off the ground yet, I can only speculate to the exact conditions created-however I imagine owing to the presence of moving water, the humidity would be very high, the tank shall be kept away from the window under artifical lighting, i'm going to try LED although I am aware they are not the best for optimum growth. The room itself is room temperature and I dont feel like I wish to add additional heating infrastructre.

So essentially, a high humidity, room temp tank with average lighting and little room is what i have to work with-awkward or what

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    That would be my interpretation. My paludarium includes a permanent water section with fish, but it's also about 95cm square and 75cm high.
    Sounds nice! prehaps a future project with a larger tank....but it's already looking like I have a lot more thinking to do before this gets off the ground!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PieandPeas View Post
    As the project is not off the ground yet, I can only speculate to the exact conditions created-however I imagine owing to the presence of moving water, the humidity would be very high, the tank shall be kept away from the window under artifical lighting, i'm going to try LED although I am aware they are not the best for optimum growth. The room itself is room temperature and I dont feel like I wish to add additional heating infrastructre.

So essentially, a high humidity, room temp tank with average lighting and little room is what i have to work with-awkward or what
    Sounds sub-tropical to me.....
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    Sounds sub-tropical to me.....
    I could work with that-but sub-tropical according to Peter D'amato is between 45-85 degrees..leaving me to try figure out the best way to increase and regulate the tank temp...which i didnt want to do, but if it has to be done i'm prepared to.

Have you had any experience with heated tanks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you put on a fairly tight lid and bright lighting you will definitely warm up above room temp during the day, and as long as you can't see your breath in the room at night it won't be too cold then.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I set up and maintain aquaria for a living so I have some experience with heated tanks...............

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast