Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carnivorous Paludarium HELP!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    I set up and maintain aquaria for a living so I have some experience with heated tanks...............
    Wow-that's some pedigree!

I however, am a studying Landscape Architect with an interest in plants and a lack of direction!

I know how I'm going to realise my design; it's maintaining the plants that's the issue-I want to avoid plants that require dormancy, so sub tropical ones are the way forward-but it's finding suitable species (pref as hardy as possible) for a small tank which thrive in high humidity where Im struggling- I just dont have a clue!
    Last edited by PieandPeas; 03-30-2014 at 12:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drosera capensis was mentioned. Very easy plant as long as it gets enough light, doesn't dry out and you don't fertilize it.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might consider various terrestrial Utricularia and Drosera adelae.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest:

D. aliciae
    D. capensis
    D. adelae
    D. prolifera

Subtropical Aldrovanda could potentially live in the aquatic portion

Genlisea flexuosa
    G. violacea

Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor

Pinguicula agnata
    P. esseriana
    P. moranensis

Utricularia bisquamata
    U. calycifida
    U. gibba
    U. graminifolia
    U. livida
    U. sandersonii
    U. tricolor
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the prompt replies!

It seems that Drosera adelae is a strongly reccomended CP, which is a bonus for me as it's easy to obtain in the UK.
    I think the sensible route given the limited space in the tank (20cmx20cmx30cm) would be to go for a maximum of three main plants on the land area, say Dosera adelae, Utricularia bisquamata and I'd love Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor.

I'd have to research them of course to look at individual heights and spreads over time...but at least I know where to source these species!

In regard to the aquatic section, I was actually going to use a standard aquarium aquatic moss, but having a aquatic CP would be awesome, would the distubance to the water caused by the pump irritate the plant? What are peoples thoughts on the creation of a 'shelf' in the water area to grow U. graminifolia...it appears to be successfull as a semi aquatic?

N.B Stratch U.graminifolia from the list, it seems even experienced CP growers have trouble with growing this species terrestrially
    Last edited by PieandPeas; 03-30-2014 at 04:46 PM.

The sticky ones are my favorite. Tacks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard that U. gramnifolia grows fairly well with periodic flooding just above the media level, but I can't speak from experience.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a number of Utricularia species that grow well semi-aquatically, such as Utricularia uliginosa, dichotoma, biloba, fulva, resupinata, and even subulata. Since you are in the UK you should be able to obtain them easily from stores in the EU.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, don't mix Utricularia. Its just annoying.

U. sandersonii 'Blue' would be the choice if you want to use some medium. The blue clone is much nicer if your trying to landscape vivariums.

Utricularia sanderonii 'Blue' by randallsimpson, on Flickr

U. asplundii if you have the space would be a possibility, I'm still working on this one.

Utricularia asplundii by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Here is 90% of everything I've wrote about graminifolia in one place http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...My-Experiences

You can do Cephs but you need to be careful about placement and ensure there medium needs are met, remembering that high humidity + water on there crowns will likely kill them.

Also keep in mind the size of the flower stalks if you ever want flowers.

If I ever reset up a paludarium it will have U. graminifolia in it, its the perferct growing conditions for this weed. Don't grow UG in medium, grow it on wet aquarium quality driftwood and try to keep it out of your water!

No longer setup.

389 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Utriculara graminifolia by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast