Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Radagast's Photo Thread

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice setup. Is there anything you normally put on the side that is open in the picture to keep the humidity up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! It's a work in progress.

Yes- I've actually shoved all the plants a little bit more to the right, to make room for an essential oil diffuser (the power cord fits through the gap at the bottom). I don't put any oils in, but instead just fill it with distilled water. It's ultrasonic however given what it is supposed to be used for, it doesn't have as much power behind it as other humidifiers- it can barely keep the humidity above 50% when placed directly on the same shelf. It also runs out of water after just a few hours.

I'm considering getting a more powerful cool-mist ultrasonic humidifier that I found online. I'd like to hook up some tubing to it and feed it into the grow rack. I've also considered going to a big-box retailer and getting a cheap clear vinyl shower curtain and draping it over the front of the grow rack, so I can still see inside and have access to everything- but will allow the humidity to rise. It's definitely been a game of trial and error lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey All,

I've been considering making some changes to my original plan. Since my collection is quite small (and my fiancee hates the idea of running a humidifier w/ a tube that is routed into the grow rack), I am beginning to consider using those "seed starting" trays and one of those extra-tall "humidity domes" that are vented on the sides/top to allow for humidity & temperature control. I would place this contraption onto my grow rack. I plan to stick to drosera and pinguicula right now (no pun intended). Anybody have any experience using this type of a setup?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. I bet it would work! I think if you put pots in there you could grow lots of dews! You could also put in some semi tropical utrics such as U. sandersonii
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-18-2014 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Nomenclature

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your fiancee is going to hate me for what I'm about to suggest.

What if you set the shelving inside a grow tent, which is designed to be leakproof and contain humidity. Then you could have your humidifier without any of the negative issues.

The tall dome should be great for dews though. I use humidity domes for almost all my Drosera seeds/seedlings, mainly so they don't get top-watered and scattered/flooded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplantman View Post
    Your fiancee is going to hate me for what I'm about to suggest.

What if you set the shelving inside a grow tent, which is designed to be leakproof and contain humidity. Then you could have your humidifier without any of the negative issues.

The tall dome should be great for dews though. I use humidity domes for almost all my Drosera seeds/seedlings, mainly so they don't get top-watered and scattered/flooded.
    Well I said the phrase "grow tent" and thought she nearly had a stroke. She was picturing a massive 10-person Coleman camping tent erected in the living room haha.

I'm excited to post a few pics of my very first CP order today. These pics were taken on my iPhone 5S, and were unpacked 10 minutes prior to taking the pics.

Pinguicula 'Gina' (hybrid of Pinguicula zecheri x agnata) Edit: Yes it is of hybrid origin, but is actually a registered cultivar. Cultivar names are specific, they do not represent the equivalent of a grex name for that hybrid. More than a decade ago, using an "x" to indicate plants of hybrid origin, was discontinued (made an invalid option), according to the ICNCP. Single quotes are used to denote a registered cultivar name.

Drosera spatulata

Drosera capensis (broad leaf) I made out here because I was shipped 2 in 1 pot.

Drosera scorpioides Edit: This species name is, Drosera scorpioides.

I'll be picking up the tall humidity dome and 10 x 20 trays to keep the Drosera in for now to see how it works. Also- with the D. capensis, I notice one leaf is kind of wrapped around another; is it worth it to separate the 2 of them manually? Finally does anybody have an idea what that little green stuff is growing underneath the dews? Is that live sphagnum?
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-18-2014 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Nomenclature

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have qualms about touching the mucilage on the capensis, you could try to pull them apart by moving the petioles, so you aren't disturbing the plant as much. It shouldn't be a problem if you don't separate them though.

The green stuff in the pots is just regular moss. Sphagnum is generally larger and has a distinctive shape, and it is not likely to be growing on a peat and perlite mix.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Healthy looking plants. Though, looking at the shape of the lamina, I'd bet your spatulata is actually a tokaiensis. A view from above would help, but spatulata forms usually have more tapering leaf blades.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast