Likes Likes:  1
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Radagast's Photo Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks,

As requested here is a pic of it from above.

http://flic.kr/p/naCZ8z

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I could bet money it's either tokaiensis or x tokaiensis. Only the flowers will tell that difference. Very, very easy to grow plant though.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    Yeah, I could bet money it's either tokaiensis or x tokaiensis. Only the flowers will tell that difference. Very, very easy to grow plant though.
    I took your input and emailed the company. I asked them to clarify the species and this is the response I got. I'd like to get people's thoughts on this:

"When it comes to naming spatulata, there are two camps. There are those who attempt to classify every form of spatulata as a separate species, and there are those who classify them as variations of spatulata. We are of the latter camp. We don't differentiate between tokaiensis and spatulata because we believe that tokaiensis is a form of spatulata. (The fact that the Fraser Island form is identified as a form of spatulata and not it's own species, despite that it has a different growth habit, flower, and temperature tolerance than most forms of spatulata, is proof of how inconsistent the issue is.)

These sort of issues make good conversation for forums, but from our perspective, they all have extremely similar appearances, growth habits, and care that doesn't justify making the distinction. If anything, we simply say that we have various clones of spatulata, which we believe is an accurate description of the spatulata in our collection.

I know some folks will have a heart attack when they learn this about us. It's OK."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it's been nearly 2 weeks and I've already got flower stalks on the D. tokaiensis. I've fed all of the CPs once so far with little crushed up bits of betta food in water. I also noticed from day 1 they had what I believe are fungus gnats, and pretty algae soaked soil. I treated them with diluted neem oil and I'll likely repot them after letting them settle in for a few more weeks. I want to put them in square pots.

http://flic.kr/p/no5cKR

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting company...... it's known D. x tokaiensis is a hybrid of spatulata and rotundifolia, and tokaiensis the polyploid fertile form, this is supported by artificial crossings and genetic studies.
    They are extremely easy to flower, and usually the flowers will open without issue too, very deep pinks. Also, for the fungus gnats, except when dealing with seedlings they're more of an annoyance than a concern, and often do provide good food for the sticky plants. But, I'd probably be in the same camp of getting rid of them anyway.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a quick update. Here is my current setup (This pic is to illustrate my setup, not necessarily focus on individual plants). I've got the plants on my grow rack using the tray method (I need to measure how far away from the light...But it is a 4 bulb T5 High Output fluorescent fixture.) I've had the plants for nearly 3 weeks now and they're still alive haha. The plants seem to be recovering from being shipped and I've snipped off a couple dead leaves here and there. All 4 plants have new growth since being in my care and the new growth is producing copious amounts of dew. As you can see the ping is in the tray but inside a separate dish to better control the water levels.

Humidity: 40%-63%
    Temp: 66F-77F
    Feeding: Some of the plants continue to catch fungus gnats on their own. I'm also experimenting w/ feeding a crushed-up fish food called "New Life Spectrum: Regular Formula" (I have it leftover from when I had a running fish tank, the main ingredients are Krill and Herring).
    Plan: Continue to grow my collection and eventually repot everything into neat, tidy, square pots w/ well-rinsed media (These were shipped to me w/ lots of moss and algae on the surface).

I'd love to hear people's thoughts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey everybody,

Just wanted to show off my latest addition from Flytrapshop.com! I'm very pleased with my purchase. This pic was taken the day after I un-boxed it, so it looks much nicer now (more dew) and has quite a nice flower stalk developing.

D. Burmannii (Or Sessilifolia, Or a hybrid of both...Currently unknown!)

Updated pic of my setup. Currently humidity ranges between 30's-70's %. Temp fluctuates between low 60F and upper 80's. The plants continue to grow, throw up flower stalks, and the new growth is producing good amounts of dew. As you can see I also took a couple cuttings of my Nepenthes ventrata as an experiment. I'm trying to revive some new zealand sphagnum moss. The 2nd shelf only has some air plants a succulent, and some catnip. I don't cover the front with anything as I'm afraid the temp would skyrocket. It gets hot enough already. I don't have the patience, the funds, nor the will to hook up fans and humidifiers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Folks,

Just thought I'd show my 3 new additions: 1.) Dionaea muscipula 2.) Drosera hyperostigma 3.) Drosera aliciae. The Drosera did not take kindly to the shipping process, the photos of ALL the CP's were taken after being unpacked so they look to be in a bit of distress. The D. aliciae was from a different supplier than the other 2 CP's.

As of this morning the D. aliciae has begun to produce more dew. All photos were taken on 5/29/2014.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast