Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Radagast's Photo Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today I noticed my D. burmannii seeds were ready. I snipped the stalk, prepared media, and sprinkled the seeds all over the top. The pots are now in a ziplock bag w/ a bit of water in the bottom under T5HO lights. Wish me luck!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Schweet! I remember 10 years ago, multiplying my first couple little D. burmannii in yogurt cups on my windowsill.

I was like "man, I'll never have enough of this cute little guy." Then 2 turned into 1000, and into a million....
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-18-2014 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Nomenclature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can only hope mine look like that one day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's an update to show-off my newly sprouted Drosera burmannii. I look forward to watching them get bigger and bigger. This is my first successful CP germination.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Folks,

Just a quick update. First off I am hoping someone knowledgeable can identify that what I have growing is indeed Sphagnum Moss. I followed instructions found online. I bought a bag of dried up, dead LFS. I then heated some distilled water on the stove, and let it cool down until it was still fairly warm but not hot. I then took a BUNCH of the dead LFS and soaked it in the warm distilled water. I let it soak for about 30 minutes, took it out, and squeezed some of the water out and shoved it all into a ziplock bag (in fact you can see it on the left of the upper shelf on my grow rack in the pic above). I forgot about it for a long time- I nearly threw it out because it appeared to grow all sorts of green algae slime. But instead I just left it alone despite how horrid it looked. Suddenly several months later I noticed it looked different and appeared to be re-growing actual sphagnum moss. Either this IS NZ Sphagnum moss and the trick worked or I've been just growing some other type of moss out of the dead LFS.

NZ Sphagnum Moss by RadagastCP, on Flickr

Second I'm looking for some guidance in chopping up and pruning my very first carnivorous plant, my Nepenthes x ventrata. The plant has been growing beautifully and has just now put out several beautiful colored pitchers (the really colorful red ones in the back on the left). As you can see it is in quite a small white plastic pot. I tried taking pics from several angles but it has roughly 3-4 large unruly vines. In one picture I've tried lifting one of the leaves out of the way to show the mini plant (offshoot?) growing from the bottom. My current thought is that I should just seriously cut-back the vines to produce multiple cuttings, and maybe attempt to re-pot the smaller plant into its own pot? Thoughts?

Nepenthes x ventrata by RadagastCP, on Flickr

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bump....tons of views but no replies...does nobody have an idea?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sphagnum, just regular carpet moss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't do it. That Nep is beautiful! Maybe instead look for attractive means of supporting them. Or just "let em hang out" lol. That does indeed look like early sphagnum sprouting. It should fill in nicely! Thanks for sharing!
    My Grow/Want Lists
    -The horticulturalist formerly known as Shortbus-

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast