What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Radagast's Photo Thread

:ohno: don't do it. That Nep is beautiful! Maybe instead look for attractive means of supporting them. Or just "let em hang out" lol. That does indeed look like early sphagnum sprouting. It should fill in nicely! Thanks for sharing! :)

Are you positive on that sphagnum ID? It doesn't look too sphaggy to me :/ Though, I have been known to be wrong once every leap year or so.

positive, no. I thought it was the icky stuff too, but the more I look at it it looks how mine looked early. It will be much more obvious whatever it is in a few weeks.

When some sphag randomly sprouted for me, as I recall, it was thin strand like and suspiciously like other stuff.

Last edited:
Hey folks here's a quick update re: the status of my plants. I've made a few additions to my collection and they're adjusting nicely. I've been in the hobby since April of 2014 and as you can see I have definitely been bitten by the carnivorous plant bug...Pun very much intended. As always I hope you enjoy and please feel free to offer any advice or suggestions.

Drosera capensis by RadagastCP, on Flickr

Drosera burmannii seedlings by RadagastCP, on Flickr

Drosera adelae by RadagastCP, on Flickr

Drosera spatulata (Frasier Island) by RadagastCP, on Flickr

Drosera hyperostigma by RadagastCP, on Flickr

Pinguicula 'Gina' by RadagastCP, on Flickr

Drosera capensis (broad leaf) by RadagastCP, on Flickr

Drosera scorpioides by RadagastCP, on Flickr

Nepenthes x ventrata cuttings by RadagastCP, on Flickr

Drosera burmannii by RadagastCP, on Flickr

Drosera aliciae by RadagastCP, on Flickr

Drosera admirabilis by RadagastCP, on Flickr

Drosera tokaiensis by RadagastCP, on Flickr This tokaiensis actually came back from the dead. Totally lost its dew for weeks before returning to this state.

Sphagnum Moss Culture by RadagastCP, on Flickr I'm now 99.99% certain that I've successfully cultured sphagnum moss. It was unclear at first but I really now think it is sphagnum and the technique worked.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure? Ugh I was so positive.

Yes, it is. Sphagnum does not have the bushy growth points we so often see when it's really young. When it first sprouts, it's stringy and looks kind of like the weedier moss types.
Also, it appears you have the capensis/capensis "broadleaf" pic labels reversed.

I second hcarlton! Looks like young sphagnum to me :)

Well I apologize. I have never seen anything like that called sphagnum. my newly cultured sphag has alwaus looked like "mature sphagnum" so I jumped to conclusions

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone!

@hcarlton- they're actually both broad leaf. I neglected to put "broad leaf" in the first pic but the smaller one by itself was a seedling in the pot next to the 2 larger ones. When I ordered them from the vendor they arrived all in one pot so I split them up.

Any advice on how I should continue to grow the moss? Just leave it as is?

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone!

@hcarlton- they're actually both broad leaf. I neglected to put "broad leaf" in the first pic but the smaller one by itself was a seedling in the pot next to the 2 larger ones. When I ordered them from the vendor they arrived all in one pot so I split them up.

Any advice on how I should continue to grow the moss? Just leave it as is?
Odd, considering it matches perfectly the capensis 'Albino' plants I have, which are a typical leaf form, and looks nothing like your other broadleaf plants. As for the sphag, leaving it as it is will let it grow just fine.

Did you know that your D. adelae has U. livida growing in it? (the white flowers)

Yes. It is something I'm quite bitter about lol. The pot arrived infested with it. Don't get me wrong it looks very pretty but I prefer my utrics to be in their own separate pot. I'll never win that battle now.

Looks more like U. bisquamata than U. livida to me.

Yeah I've been comparing photos and it seems like U. bisquamata. Would also make sense as I was reading the savage garden and Mr D'amato mentions it as being a pest in their greenhouses...and that also happens to be the company I bought the D adelae from haha.

hey how much was the light fixture and where did you buy it. thanks! amazing set up , thinking about copying you

Hey thanks a lot! That means a lot to me since I'm still relatively new at this.

I've changed it around a bit since my original pic and will post an updated pic soon. Here is a link to a web page I found that details how to build a grow rack cheaply. If you were to buy one of these premade it will cost you $400-600. If you buy a wire rack and then a bunch of shop lights and appropriate lighting you can do the whole thing at a fraction of that cost depending on the sales you find. I also love grow racks because of the added space it affords you. Right now I use 1 shelf for my main collection, another shelf for other tropical plants, and another shelf for cuttings and other propagation methods, etc.

http://arewecrazyorwhat.net/buildin...-the-cheap-no-its-not-too-late-in-the-spring/

Hope this helps! I also don't use any fans or humidifiers. The humidity from the water tray is plenty for my collection.

Here's my grow rack as of 9/15/2014. I plan to re-create it with a larger shelf once I'm able; one with more shelves to accommodate a growing collection. My plan is to have 1 shelf dedicated to Nepenthes, another shelf dedicated to Drosera, Pings, Utrics (basically miscellaneous, depends on which genus and species I'm into at the time haha). Then I'd like to have a shelf for misc tropical non-carnivorous plants. Finally I'd like to have 1 or 2 shelves for propagation, cuttings, seeds, etc.

You can see the list of all the plants on the first rack by clicking my grow list link. On the 2nd shelf you will find from left to right: pothos cuttings, wife's orchids that I'm trying to save, jade plant, sphagnum moss culture, irish moss, tillandsias scattered about all over, and 2 cups of assorted moss and 1 cup of lichen (Reindeer moss).

Grow Rack 9/15/2014 by RadagastCP, on Flickr

Hey Folks: Today I attended the NECPS's Carnivorous Plant Show at the Roger Williams Botanical Garden in Providence Rhode Island. Here are the 4 plants I've added to my collection. Enjoy,

Myrmecodia tuberosa - Thanks Dave! by RadagastCP, on Flickr
Nepenthes burkei x hamata by RadagastCP, on Flickr
Nepenthes eymae x trusmadiensis by RadagastCP, on Flickr
Pinguicula esseriana - Thanks Johnny! by RadagastCP, on Flickr

P.S. This morning as I was sipping my coffee and preparing for the ride to Rhode Island, I noticed my Drosera aliciae decided to open one of its flowers!
Drosera aliciae by RadagastCP, on Flickr

Wow, you have made a ton of garden progress throughout this thread. Very cool. Glad to hear that you aren't fussing with humidifiers anymore as well. I'm jealous of your 2 recent Nepenthes scores.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, I appreciate the compliment!

I anticipate they'll go through a bit of a tough patch as they adapt to their new growing environment but I'm hopeful I'll be able to keep those 2 alive haha.

Back