Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Largest carnivorous plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For Nepenthes biggest plant is still quite up for debate, we really need to narrow it down to certain aspects. For leaf surface area I think Rajah wins. Possibly Bical for leaf length, but Rajah really does get some huge leaves! Bical just vines very easily and will reach incredible heights very quickly compared to Rajah.
    Pitcher Size also needs to be described better, for Volume Rajah may hold the record for a true species, but the massive pitchers seem less common than I once thought they were. Truncata on the other hand delivers constant huge pitchers that are of course taller than Rajah.
    Hybrid-wise the biggest volume pitcher I've seen was Sam's 2.8 liter 'Caesar' pitcher. I've seen crude photos of ones that are supposedly bigger, but no detailed analysis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For Dionaea I did a search a while back and found the CPUK Forums Competition: http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showforum=17
    The biggest of any year they had the competition was 52mm by Guillaume. Second was a 51.5mm 'GC4'; Third a 50mm ('South West Giant' aka "G16" aka 'Adrian Slack's Giant')
    Does anyone have photos of anything bigger? Always rumors of 2+" traps but never photos...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    With Sarracenia, flava rugelii holds the record right now, with some plants having been recorded at more than 4' tall, but leucophylla and x moorei are definitely close.
    Wow! That is amazing. I've guessing those were growing in the wild.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know, I've seen pics of a few plants in greenhouse conditions that may be pushing that size..
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12