Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Largest carnivorous plants

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Largest carnivorous plants

For each type of carnivorous plant, what is the largest representative?

Venus Fly Trap (Cultivars/Varieties/Forms):

Nepenthes:

Non Tropical Pitchers:

Butterworts:

Sundews:

Bladderworts:

Others:
    Last edited by Acro; 04-03-2014 at 11:28 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drosera: gigantea is the largest overall
    Nepenthes: rajah has the largest pitchers
    Pinguicula: gigantea is the largest I think
    Sarracenia: leucophylla seems to be the tallest
    Utricularia: humboldtii has the largest bladders and flowers, longifolia has the longest stolons

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is some debate as to whether or not either N. attenboroughii or N. palawanensis can have bigger pitchers than N. rajah. Also there are some artificial hybrids that have been grown which can have freakishly large pitchers. . .

Though as far as over-all size I remember reading somewhere that N. bicalcarata may be the biggest in overall mass and length of any Nepenthes.

Heliamphora ionasi is the largest Heliamphora.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bicalarata I the "largest" nepenthes, but that's the plant itself not the traps, merriliana, a coupe raff giant varieties and palawanensis are large pitchered plants, it would not surprise me if they outdid rajah.
    Drosera Gigantea would be the tallest, but maybe not the largest in actual mass, regia could rival its mass, another thing is that certain species (like adelae) can be spread through roots, so if an adelae send a 2m root and makes a new adelae but both survive with the same root is it one plant?, or as we would presume the root s going to break/rot an divide that it is to plants?
    Also although U.Humboltii does have the largest leaves, many other utrics are much larger plants, especially some of the aquatic utrics, Aurea for example are commonly found in strands over 1m and with branches to add to that, as well as having a large diameter.

I'm not sure about sarra, but isn't there a Giant variety of Minor, how tall do leucs get?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's also a new species of Drosera from South America that's giving D.regia some competition for the title.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think that under the proper conditions an aquatic Utric like vulgaris would be hands down the winner. Unless it gets fragmented by water movement or something, what would the limit on its max size be?
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    heliamphora sort of depends if we are talking pitcher size or plant size....

I know of one euro grower who has a vertical growing tatei that is 4-5 foot tall (estimated from pictures)
    (and I am being very conservative, more likely 6-7 foot tall, it is the most impressive heli that I am aware of)
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 04-04-2014 at 05:26 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dionaea 'B52' has for a long time held the record for largest, but some of the new giant forms may surpass even it.
    For sheer size, N. bicalcarata is definitely the biggest plant, but pitcher wise, in general rajah has the largest traps. The other new species may certainly occasionally put out pitchers that outdo rajah, but for pitcher size on average nothing yet beats it.
    With Sarracenia, flava rugelii holds the record right now, with some plants having been recorded at more than 4' tall, but leucophylla and x moorei are definitely close.
    Heliamphora I can't really speak for, but I know ionasii and tatei are both famed for size
    P. gigantea is probably largest by mass, but longifolia or vallisneriifolia have far longer leaves.
    D. gigantea and regia, by mass, may be the largest, but D. erythrogyne is the longest, with climbing stems up to 10' in cases.
    The largest bladderwort species I've seen yet may be U. floridana, as I've seen pictures of plants easily having branches of 7 or 8 feet before. For bladder size, humboldtii and arnhemica are both close, and for leaves longifolia probably does have the longest on average, but U. cornigera can have some massive lamina.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast