User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how do you kill fungal tartar-like residue on peat?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was only following the guide here, which recommends Osmocote for regia: http://www.carnivorousplants.org/how...es/D_regia.php. Any advice on how to go about repotting it with minimal disturbance to the roots?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanukimo View Post
    I was only following the guide here, which recommends Osmocote for regia: http://www.carnivorousplants.org/how...es/D_regia.php. Any advice on how to go about repotting it with minimal disturbance to the roots?
    Wow. If John Brittnacher recommends Osmocote then I am mistaken. However, you did note that he says he uses only four to six pellets per pot, per year, right? If you're seeing salt accumulations on the soil, either you've applied too many pellets, or the soil was contaminated with minerals from the start. Assuming that your pot has drainage holes (it should) then you can gradually leach the minerals out with copious amounts of water when you normally do water (IE: lots of water poured through the pot, between normally scheduled waterings.)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks! I haven't really been watering the plant much because I heard that regia doesn't need a lot of water but I'll try to flush out the minerals by watering it more and letting the water drain out through the drainage hole. I think the soil might have been contaminated from the start.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend staying away from osmocote in general. Just use a weak orchid fertilizer that you can dilute yourself. There are always defective pellets in the bottle that will release in just a matter of days, instead of slowly over a few weeks like they should. Trust me, I've used them a lot (and on regia)!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so are you guys sure this is mineral buildup? I never use any hardwater on the soil only pure drinking water. Ill experiement and see. It really looked like a fungus to me though.

The sticky ones are my favorite. Tacks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By "drinking water" do you mean distilled or reverse osmosis? Or do you just mean bottled water or spring water. Because regular bottled water still has too high a mineral content for CPs. The minerals make it taste good. You need distilled or reverse osmosis water for the long term.
    Last edited by Tacks; 04-09-2014 at 12:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or rainwater, or in my case, tap (only if your area has low mineral content).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think its reverse osmosis. The one where you go to the water store with the big tank and they fill it for you. 25 cents a gallon. Ive always used it for all my plants never have problems but the build up (which i think is fungus) is annoying and looks ugly and im also just worried if i use it my plants will get contaminated with this yellow fungus but then again i have the bag of peat sitting there very tempting to use.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast