Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Things finally waking up after Winter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Yes - mine is now headed out on it's own after doing its part to save frogs ... Thankfully, the mother plant is once-again starting to inflate uppers so I won't be without my inermis fix for long...

I think those pillars look so cool - like what you'd see on top of the tepuis. Thanks for the closeup pics - I wonder if the dead leaves do provide any actual support?
    Saving frogs? What happened?

And I don't want to sound ... lasiantha are from Australia, and meristocaulis are the ones from the Tepuis.. or were you just saying they'd fit in well there?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post

And I don't want to sound ... lasiantha are from Australia, and meristocaulis are the ones from the Tepuis.. or were you just saying they'd fit in well there?
    I believe they were auctioned off to support Amphibian Ark, a charity that helps amphibians.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Tanukimo said. My spring cleanout this year is going to the frogs ....

Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    You wouldn't see those on the tepuis, just their relative.
    Duh - LOL. Just saying that looking at those sundew chimneys reminds me of pics I've seen on top of the tepuis - whether of meristocaulis or roraimae. For whatever reason, I don't recall seeing pics of Oz chimneys in the wild.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, here's some more. Hilariously, the S.minor are the tallest ones in the bog!

N.macrophylla started to finally open up

N.villosa opened up a little bit more

N.hamata making cute curly hair

And I think I may have actually made ping seeds?? How do I know .. and when the pods ripen, how do I know when they're ripe?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really - you grow N. macrophylla, villosa and edwardsiana on your front porch?! Whoa!
    - Mark

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, to be able to grow toothies that easily... (or in my case grow them at all, yet)
    If you actually have Ping seeds, the ripe pods will look like they're full of brown something, and when they are fully ripe will eventually open and reveal seeds.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious, is anything expected to grow to be taller than the Sarracenia minor? And are you growing variety okefenokeensis?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    Really - you grow N. macrophylla, villosa and edwardsiana on your front porch?! Whoa!
    Yup, SoCal has the perfect 75ishF days, 65ishF nights to provide good-enough conditions. Humidity is usually pretty low, but the plants harden up ok if you acclimate them slowly. I think the only drawback is that your pitchers are smaller, but that seems to be it.

Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    Oh, to be able to grow toothies that easily... (or in my case grow them at all, yet)
    If you actually have Ping seeds, the ripe pods will look like they're full of brown something, and when they are fully ripe will eventually open and reveal seeds.
    They're easier than you think. Don't be afraid of them - they're just glorified houseplants

Ok, thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanukimo View Post
    Just curious, is anything expected to grow to be taller than the Sarracenia minor? And are you growing variety okefenokeensis?
    Yeah I think I'm expecting the S.flava to get taller, although I got it as a seedling so I don't really know what its final height will be. I think this is my third year with the plant so we'll see. I don't have okee - I've just got some Home Depot death-cube clone so I'm assuming it's just plain old simple short S.minor.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123