User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why hasn't the D. Regia x Dionaea hybrid been attempted again?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeafKirby View Post
    .......... and the fact you had to feed it like every 10 seconds or it self-destructs.
    You really shouldn't listen to myths and legends.

As for price, in the UK you can acquire nursery grown plants for under $15.
    As an amateur it's simply not worth my time and greenhouse space to propagate for sale. The last time I did I struggled to sell them at $7.50 for 2 ( each in 3" pot ). Why the prices are so high in the US is a mystery.
    I'll keep to my six 8" squares for my own enjoyment.
    Last edited by fredg; 04-19-2014 at 01:02 AM. Reason: The usual typos
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive been finding $20 a common price from vendors and private party sales.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg View Post
    You really shouldn't listen to myths and legends.

Why the prices are so high in the US is a mystery.
    Indeed, US prices are a mystery to me as well. Prices in the SF Bay Area are 2-4 than what they sell for in Southern California. Perhaps there is more demand in the Bay Area. More vendors and more exposure. Some of it is mythology at work - people are told something is difficult to grow or propagate when the truth is something different once some basic parameters are met. Look at all the *RARE* plants for sale in the US on eBay. If it was something truly rare you'd be auctioning it some place like Sotheby's not eBay. Prices reflect what the market will bear - especially when there is an uninformed market to exploit.

There have even been a few cases where growers admitted to keeping plants scarce to keep prices high. But then again for the most part profit margins are razor thin. Bob Hanrahan remarked (at the time) that people wanted plants on the cheap but when he factored in time and labor to propagate plants and run a mail order business he should be getting 10 what he was selling them for. This was before tissue culture mass propagation was readily available.

Another factor is while there are several firms mass propagating Carnivorous Plants there is nothing in the US that approaches the scale of a firm like Carniflora. And there are much less restrictions in shipping live plants between EU nations than there are shipping between States in America.

http://forum.carnivoren.org/index.ph...ei-carniflora/
    http://icps.proboards.com/thread/500...rie-carniflora
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And then someone pays $150 for a D.regia on ebay USA. That's one reason prices are so high, people pay them.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the old saying goes "A fool and his money are soon parted". Or the variation either from Mad Magazine or Bazooka Bubblegum: "A fool and his money are soon popular".

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Indeed, US prices are a mystery to me as well. Prices in the SF Bay Area are 2-4 than what they sell for in Southern California. Perhaps there is more demand in the Bay Area. More vendors and more exposure. http://forum.carnivoren.org/index.ph...ei-carniflora/
    http://icps.proboards.com/thread/500...rie-carniflora
    Do you mean prices from private growers? Because I don't think any vendors in the SF Bay Area normally carry regia, let alone any in southern California.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My misconceptions about Regia aside, anymore opinions on this mysterious cross or shall it never be spoken of again.
    Formerly known as WaterKirby.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanukimo View Post
    Do you mean prices from private growers? Because I don't think any vendors in the SF Bay Area normally carry regia, let alone any in southern California.
    I'm talking prices in general. There are really no CP nurseries in SoCal that sell retail to the consumer, just big TC places like Booman's or Gublers and a few private growers like Don Elkins. The private growers usually sell at specialty venues like plant shows. You don't find CPs in flower shops and the like other than the death cube variety. But a potted D. capensis (excluding death cubes in retails stores) will cost you $3-6 potted in SoCal. In the SF area you'd probably pay $10-15.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast