What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why hasn't the D. Regia x Dionaea hybrid been attempted again?

As the old saying goes "A fool and his money are soon parted". Or the variation either from Mad Magazine or Bazooka Bubblegum: "A fool and his money are soon popular".

Indeed, US prices are a mystery to me as well. Prices in the SF Bay Area are 2-4× than what they sell for in Southern California. Perhaps there is more demand in the Bay Area. More vendors and more exposure. http://forum.carnivoren.org/index.php?/topic/35231-treffen-bei-carniflora/
http://icps.proboards.com/thread/5009/visit-carnivorous-plant-nurserie-carniflora

Do you mean prices from private growers? Because I don't think any vendors in the SF Bay Area normally carry regia, let alone any in southern California.

My misconceptions about Regia aside, anymore opinions on this mysterious cross or shall it never be spoken of again.

Do you mean prices from private growers? Because I don't think any vendors in the SF Bay Area normally carry regia, let alone any in southern California.

I'm talking prices in general. There are really no CP nurseries in SoCal that sell retail to the consumer, just big TC places like Booman's or Gublers and a few private growers like Don Elkins. The private growers usually sell at specialty venues like plant shows. You don't find CPs in flower shops and the like other than the death cube variety. But a potted D. capensis (excluding death cubes in retails stores) will cost you $3-6 potted in SoCal. In the SF area you'd probably pay $10-15.

>It might be possible considering that Drosera regia's closest relative is Aldrovanda.

This doesn't appear to be true. With no disrespect to Rivadavia et al, in the rbcL MP tree, it's important to notice the low bootstrap support for the regia/aldrovanda clade ,the arcturi/rest of drosera clade, and the split between these two clades. The rbcL data simply don't strongly support the hypothesis that Aldrovanda and regia are sisters in a single clade, and the authors note that Aldrovanda and Dionaea show up as sisters in their larger dataset, with much higher bootstrap support. The same authors report different chromosome numbers for D. regia and everything else in the family, so this is probably a good reason to doubt that regia can be viably crossed with anything in the family. ('X and Y are different genera' is a less compelling argument, just ask the Laeliocattleya breeders.)

>It might be possible considering that Drosera regia's closest relative is Aldrovanda.

This doesn't appear to be true. With no disrespect to Rivadavia et al, in the rbcL MP tree, it's important to notice the low bootstrap support for the regia/aldrovanda clade ,the arcturi/rest of drosera clade, and the split between these two clades. The rbcL data simply don't strongly support the hypothesis that Aldrovanda and regia are sisters in a single clade, and the authors note that Aldrovanda and Dionaea show up as sisters in their larger dataset, with much higher bootstrap support. The same authors report different chromosome numbers for D. regia and everything else in the family, so this is probably a good reason to doubt that regia can be viably crossed with anything in the family. ('X and Y are different genera' is a less compelling argument, just ask the Laeliocattleya breeders.)
Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

It doesn't matter how closely "related" the genus are if there are not enough compatible genes fertilization is not going to occur. Or if it does the prospect of viable offspring is very very small.

And then we have the mule...
Mule%2BSNout.jpg

i hear you can only propagate mules via cuttings:-D

Getting back to the point... has there even been any real documentation of an attempt at this? That might be a useful place to start.

Getting back to the point... has there even been any real documentation of an attempt at this? That might be a useful place to start.

It was but apparently all links of it have expired :/

If you tried it would probably end up like a Darlingtonia x Sarracenia cross and you would wind up with a lot of nothing.

Last edited:
Back