What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why hasn't the D. Regia x Dionaea hybrid been attempted again?

I'm just curious :(
Is it cause Regia is still too hard to grow in general or is there just lack of interest?
I would have really thought someone would have pulled it off by now even if the resulting seed isn't fertile.

Drosera regia and Dionaea muscipula, though related, are in different genera and morphologically very divergent. Such a cross likely wouldn't be possible, and if it were, the resulting plants probably wouldn't be able to catch anything.

Drosera regia and Dionaea muscipula, though related, are in different genera and morphologically very divergent. Such a cross likely wouldn't be possible, and if it were, the resulting plants probably wouldn't be able to catch anything.

It's already bee done once but died as seedlings. I have the high confidence that if someone here took a go at this they'd be able to baby the plant through its tough stage.

It's already bee done once but died as seedlings. I have the high confidence that if someone here took a go at this they'd be able to baby the plant through its tough stage.

Oh yes? Who do you know who actually got living offspring - albeit brief-lived - from a cross of Drosera regia and Dionaea? I'm skeptical, very skeptical.

This?

You mean one of these guys? I picked it up at a local Kmart. Called a 'diodrosera' in one of those deathcube things.

Last edited:
Those look more like capensis tentacles. Still, a petiole covered with sticky tentacles and a snap trap at the end. I could go for that. :-O

I've also heard that it has been done with Aldrovanda but the seedlings didn't make it. It might be possible considering that Drosera regia's closest relative is Aldrovanda.

I thought it was generally thought of as hard :(

maybe back in the day...

I think it is more of an issue of availability, since regia is somewhat difficult to acquire. I have it growing on a windowsill and it is doing fine.

I think it is more of an issue of availability, since regia is somewhat difficult to acquire. I have it growing on a windowsill and it is doing fine.

I thought another issue was the price and the fact you had to feed it like every 10 seconds or it self-destructs.

I thought another issue was the price and the fact you had to feed it like every 10 seconds or it self-destructs.

I use Osmocote pellets so I don't need to feed it, but the fungus gnats it catches also supplements its diet. It is not that expensive; I bought mine for around $30. Granted, it is not a mature plant.

Since when? D. regia is very easy to grow.

Yes, some say. :) I have personally killed more than I would care to count. I think I have a handle on it now...

I find D. regia still quite finicky to grow. I have never gotten one to take off for me yet. Also D. regia and D. muscipula are supposedly closer than not on the genetic tree so it is still an endeavor worth pursuing. I don't know why more people aren't trying it, Kirby. Why not give it a shot!

.......... and the fact you had to feed it like every 10 seconds or it self-destructs.

You really shouldn't listen to myths and legends.

As for price, in the UK you can acquire nursery grown plants for under $15.
As an amateur it's simply not worth my time and greenhouse space to propagate for sale. The last time I did I struggled to sell them at $7.50 for 2 ( each in 3½" pot ). Why the prices are so high in the US is a mystery.
I'll keep to my six 8" squares for my own enjoyment.

Last edited:
ive been finding $20 a common price from vendors and private party sales.

You really shouldn't listen to myths and legends.

Why the prices are so high in the US is a mystery.

Indeed, US prices are a mystery to me as well. Prices in the SF Bay Area are 2-4× than what they sell for in Southern California. Perhaps there is more demand in the Bay Area. More vendors and more exposure. Some of it is mythology at work - people are told something is difficult to grow or propagate when the truth is something different once some basic parameters are met. Look at all the *RARE* plants for sale in the US on eBay. If it was something truly rare you'd be auctioning it some place like Sotheby's not eBay. Prices reflect what the market will bear - especially when there is an uninformed market to exploit.

There have even been a few cases where growers admitted to keeping plants scarce to keep prices high. But then again for the most part profit margins are razor thin. Bob Hanrahan remarked (at the time) that people wanted plants on the cheap but when he factored in time and labor to propagate plants and run a mail order business he should be getting 10× what he was selling them for. This was before tissue culture mass propagation was readily available.

Another factor is while there are several firms mass propagating Carnivorous Plants there is nothing in the US that approaches the scale of a firm like Carniflora. And there are much less restrictions in shipping live plants between EU nations than there are shipping between States in America.

http://forum.carnivoren.org/index.php?/topic/35231-treffen-bei-carniflora/
http://icps.proboards.com/thread/5009/visit-carnivorous-plant-nurserie-carniflora

And then someone pays $150 for a D.regia on ebay USA. That's one reason prices are so high, people pay them.

Back