Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Maiden - I appreciate the input.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BlueMax, keep us posted with your results!
    I wish you a good germination rate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any germination yet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    Thank you. I've seen much worse germination rates - in fact 7 of 10 is good. If you don't mind me asking, are you satisfied that the species names are correct?
    Sorry, a little tardy in my response. I am not a petiolaris grower and my goal is fairly simple:to see some cute sprouts. Within the seed batch, there has been great variability with regards to the hairness, color, and shapes of the leaves. Also, their growth characteristics in vitro vary widely. Some seedlings will immediately enter the callus stage while others remain as plantlets. I did post pictures of 3 of the seedlings here: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...in-vitro/page7

I have some D. derbyensis plantlets as well now - at least 3 separate clones - but I can not distinguish if the abundance of callus clumps are all one clone or a mixture. The two derbyensis plantlets are also easily distinguished from each other. These seeds were from overseas, and not Rare Exotic Seeds.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
    Any germination yet?
    Of 10 seeds planted, 5 of Drosera derbyensis and 5 of D. broomensis I have one sprout in the derbyensis pot after 3 1/2 weeks, so there is still hope for the others. The sprout is definitely a Drosera

Quote Originally Posted by pokie22 View Post

I have some D. derbyensis plantlets as well now - at least 3 separate clones - but I can not distinguish if the abundance of callus clumps are all one clone or a mixture. The two derbyensis plantlets are also easily distinguished from each other. These seeds were from overseas, and not Rare Exotic Seeds.
    Thanks. A little off the subject but did you sprout the seeds in vitro or in potting media? I am looking for improved methods of germinating petiolaris sundew seed.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks. A little off the subject but did you sprout the seeds in vitro or in potting media? I am looking for improved methods of germinating petiolaris sundew seed.
    I have only germinated petiolaris in vitro. Here is a vial of D. lanata that I sowed on 10-6-2014. 1 seed germinated after 7 months.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pokie22 View Post
    I have only germinated petiolaris in vitro. Here is a vial of D. lanata that I sowed on 10-6-2014. 1 seed germinated after 7 months.
    Congratulations on the one sprout and condolences on the ones that didn't. I am in the same boat but I'm still pretty jazzed about the new seedling. It is great that you are in a position to multiply the numbers once you get germination!

Tonight I took the last of my seed and it will soak in Gibberellic acid solution, GA3, overnight and I'll hope that gets me a few more than before. I know a grower who is talking about heat striation and that sounds like a possibility as well. Of course, if the seed is just old or poor quality there is no help for it. Makes me wish I had access to a dissecting microscope so I could cut a few of them open and see if there is anything alive in them.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A long time later - the bottom line seems to be that the germination rate for me of the seeds I got from Rare Exotic Seeds seems to be about par for the group, meaning petiolaris sundews. This is somewhat south of 10%, but I have sprouted seed from numerous suppliers and this is average. And the species have been true to their label. D. broomensis and D. derbyensis are what I got from the sprouts. I would be curious of what germination rates are for their other sundews. I was a bit miffed that they didn't wait to receive the needed 'small lots seed permit' shipping label to send the seeds to me but they were quick and their prices seem good. It's been awhile and now that the labels can be sent as an attachment and printed for shipping maybe things would work out better. Their catalog continues to get larger and they again have petiolaris seed in stock at this writing.
    - Mark

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast