Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Experiences with 'Rare Exotic Seeds'

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say I'm surprised at your success. That site never struck me as a quality seed vendor. They do carry several species I'm interested in though.

Are small seed lots permits required when shipped from Canada?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't doubt the others who had trouble with this vendor in the past. Perhaps things have just improved, or maybe I got lucky. Two instances isn't very compelling, statistically.

Maybe Not a Number will answer about needing a permit from Canada. I seem to recall that there are special circumstances with that country and the US now but I'm not sure. If so getting one isn't a large amount of trouble or expensive. If you're interested you can look here: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/wps/porta...smalllots_seed
    - Mark

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a document indicating that the seller filling out PPQ form 925 or CFIA form 5289 would be sufficient. Looking at the Canadian Food Inspection Agency's website indicates that this is the case as long as the seed is not classified as agricultural or vegetable seed for CFIA 5289, or PPQ 925 for agricultural or vegetable seed. I'm not sure why this information isn't more visible.
    Last edited by nimbulan; 12-21-2015 at 08:18 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for looking that up nimbulan. Getting information about importing small quantities of seeds does seem to take some doing. The USDA has gradually dealt with our issues but we're not really mainstream for them. At least this means that when you import seed it usually clears inspection pretty quickly. I found this to be especially interesting:

"Additional information for flower and other herbaceous plant seeds (as
    distinguished from seeds of trees and shrubs)

Except as indicated in the small lots of seed provision above, and in the special requirements section below, seeds in this category are enterable without a written permit. However, all seeds in this category are subject to inspection and, if findings warrant, to such treatment needed to prevent the risks of pest introduction."
    - Mark

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I might email these guys and ask them what their understanding of Canada->US seed import laws is.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123