Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Experiences with 'Rare Exotic Seeds'

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Experiences with 'Rare Exotic Seeds'

I just received some seed from Rare Exotic Seeds in Canada and I have been hoping that it is both viable and the species on the label of the packets. Does anyone have any experiences, good or bad, with this company?
    - Mark

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased a few packets of Utricularia seeds but they never germinated. Granted, I gave my family members instructions to germinate them so I'm not sure whether they followed my instructions or not. I only got some sedge grass that germinated.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the day when I was looking at seed sources (6-7 years ago) the search engines brought up nothing but complaints about the viability of carnivorous plant seeds from this vendor. Other TF members told me to not waste my time or money buying seeds from them because of viability and species issues. If the seeds won't germinate it doesn't matter if they are the right species or not. Perhaps their sources have improved but if they don't store the seeds properly what difference does that make.

And while they will add a phytosanitary certificate if required there is no mention in the checkout process that one might be needed. You have to read their Purchase and Shipping and FAQ page:

Phytosanitary Certificate

Depending on the species ordered and the regulations in force in the country of destination, it is possible that a phytosanitary certificate and/or import permit is required (see FAQ). So, please learn about the laws in force in your country before requesting a certificate. Please note that we do not usually provide any phytosanitary certificate. We can exceptionally deliver a certificate depending on the value of your order. This process requires an inspection from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency and will prolong the time of delivery.

Do I need a phytosanitary certificate and/or an import permit?

The authorities in your country can provide the necessary information on phytosanitary certificates and important permits. Many countries, such as in Europe, require virtually no authorization to receive our products. In general, the islands, such as Taiwan, Tahiti, New Caledonia, Mauritius have the most stringent regulations.
    Rarexoticseeds cannot be held responsible for blocking duty due to failure to license, though we can assure you that at least 98% of orders are delivered without problem.
    Seeds imported from Canada require a phytosanitary certificate unless the shipment qualifies as small seed lots AND they are accompanied with the Small Seed Lots permit (PPQ 587). See US Code of Federal Regulations PART 351—IMPORTATION OF PLANTS OR PLANT PRODUCTS BY MAIL and PART 305—PHYTOSANITARY TREATMENTS
    Last edited by Not a Number; 04-22-2014 at 01:58 AM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was told a fellow from there (Canada) had a problem with them, drum roll please...0% germination. I talked with someone there via email, they said they would be getting in a bunch of new seed in about ten days. That was about a month ago. That is just one person's experience with one batch of seed. But add that to everyone else's experience. Add to that they seem very shy about revealing their location (downtown Montreal) and a street address, which you would need to import seed from them to the US with your ppq 587 with ssl exemption. I would say perhaps not the best choice.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information everyone. When it comes to commercially obtaining seed for petiolaris sundews I am starting to believe the best choice simply doesn't exist. If I get germination I will post it.

My past experiences with European suppliers have been less than encouraging. Even when seed for most sundews has been o.k. petiolaris seed has mostly been a total failure for germination.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    7/10 germinated of D. ordensis. 1/10 germinated of Drosera montana

No germination from any others. Currently at 11 months post sowing.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pokie22 View Post
    7/10 germinated of D. ordensis. 1/10 germinated of Drosera montana

No germination from any others. Currently at 11 months post sowing.
    Thank you. I've seen much worse germination rates - in fact 7 of 10 is good. If you don't mind me asking, are you satisfied that the species names are correct?
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rarexoticseeds are located downtown montreal, near my home. The complete address is on their website, in the 'about us' section. I dont know how they store their seeds, but its ridiculous. I buyed over 100 seeds of differents species, and i had 0 germination, compared to almost 100% germination rate when i got seeds from another source. And i can refer you many others ppl from many forums and personnal friends to mine who has almost no germination at all.

You guys should avoid that place.
    Last edited by Maiden; 04-26-2014 at 09:23 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast