Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about worms

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my aquarium keeping days, I fed earthworms to Cichlids. Not all were eaten and they found their way into the gravel. They did not drown when in the gravel.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg View Post
    I have had worms in my pots for years , they never caused any trouble. You probably did more damage pulling the plant in and out of the pot than the worms ever would.
    +1
    All this fuss and speculation and worry over nothing. It's like fretting over fungus gnats and the like: pointless.
    Last edited by Whimgrinder; 05-12-2014 at 02:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several years ago, I had a severe infestation of some species of earthworm. I had never had this problem before and I guess they arrived with some trade plants. Anyway, I noticed a layer of worm castings on all of my pots and coming out the drain holes. Earthworms were visible under the pots. All of my VFTs began to decline and die (probably from the increased nutrients in the worm castings). The Sarracenia did not seem to be affected. I needed to do something.

I read that some suggested using an imidacloprid/cyfluthrin mix. This is the active ingredient in Bayer Advanced concentrate.
    http://www.bayeradvanced.com/rose-fl...-insect-killer

So, I decided to experiment
    Experiment #1: I put a few worms in a dish and added diluted (1 tbs/gal) Bayer Advanced concentrate. In about 15 min all worms were
    dead.
    Experiment #2: I top drenched a few pots of VFTs, D. capensis, and S. minor with diluted Bayer Advanced until it ran out the bottom holes. The next day I checked for live worms. There were a few still alive. I watched the plants for the next 2 weeks and noticed no adverse effect on the plants. I then drenched all of my pots.

It is now several years later and I occasionally get a few worms in the pots, so I drench those pots once a year. These treatments have not damaged any of my CPs.

This species/genus of earthworm was not good for my plants and I needed to get them under control. Other types of earthworm might be benign.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How ironic, today of all days I found a baby earthworm in a Nepenthes pot.... I don't want to take the risk of him being in there, so I moved him to a pot where the plants would benefit.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    How ironic, today of all days I found a baby earthworm in a Nepenthes pot.... I don't want to take the risk of him being in there, so I moved him to a pot where the plants would benefit.
    Is it fine to just remove worms as you see them? Because I was under the assumption that if there is one worm, there will be more unless you introduced some to a pot through a new plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worms don't add nutrients or anything else to the soil in a pot. They convert what's already there.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting article on the negative effects of earthworms: http://www.nrri.umn.edu/worms/forest/soil.html.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    Worms don't add nutrients or anything else to the soil in a pot. They convert what's already there.
    Well said:- If it doesn't go in the front it can't come out the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanukimo View Post
    Interesting article on the negative effects of earthworms: http://www.nrri.umn.edu/worms/forest/soil.html.
    There's not really that many of us growing a hardwood forest in a pot now is there
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast