Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about worms

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's talk about worms

So I have this Utricularia reneformis that I picked up earlier last year that came in a 4" pot. It was fairly well filling the pot when it arrived and over time I would tip it and pop the "root ball" out to look at the traps and the progression of growth. About half a year ago I noticed, during one of my inspections, a tiny night crawler. He was maybe 2/3"long and a millimeter or so in girth. So short story long, I left him/her in there doing what earthworms do until recently I repotted the bladderwort and saw my little slimy pet population has doubled in size and number.

So I'm sure their constant tunneling is aerating quite nicely and the plant material below ground looked quite healthy. There is not much to look at above ground for leaves though, with it keeping an average of three leaves at any given time. The holes in the sphagnum moss where the worms surely come up at night to vent through are certainly apparent!

Am I going to regret leaving these guys in there? Now that there is two there will surely be hundreds right? Anyone up for some trout fishing?

My Grow/Want Lists
    -The horticulturalist formerly known as Shortbus-

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Earthworm castings are extremely rich fertilizer, it may well end up killing your plant as the acidic sphagnous soil gets turned into more neutral "farm-worthy" soil.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second hcarlton, worms are no good for CPs because they add nutrients to the soil. I would repot the plant and try to remove all the worms.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had worms in my pots for years , they never caused any trouble. You probably did more damage pulling the plant in and out of the pot than the worms ever would.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe the kind of worm makes a difference?
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been flushing the pot regularly so maybe that has been helping the nitrogen down? The plant itself seems as healthy and "meaty" as ever when I repotted it. Also I am wondering if maybe the little baby worm-spawn are small enough to be caught by the traps?
    My Grow/Want Lists

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if you see worm casings on the soil, it means the worms are probably up to no good because that means they are enriching the soil, but if half a year has gone by it might be okay. If you see a sudden decline in your plants for no reason, my first guess would be the worms though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I hate to have such a cool plant as an unwilling test subject on this one. Frankly as wet as I have kept it I am surprised that they can live at all. I must not be very observant and they are peeking through the sphagnum a lot more than I thought. If the plant declines you can bet there will be a repotting and worm hunt.
    My Grow/Want Lists

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast