What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would you do if Sphagnum and Peat moss dissapeared tomorrow?

If tomorrow you woke up and found that you were out of peat and sphagnum, and all of your living moss had died, and after checking every source, you found that peat and sphagnum was no longer available anywhere . . .

What would you grow your precious Carnivorous Plants in?

Last edited:
I'd probably have to get really efficient at washing out coconut coir.

Probably pure sand for tuberous sundews, a perlite, sand, and pumice mix for Drosophyllum, coir, orchid bark, and perlite for Nepenthes, coir for Sarracenia, and a lot of decaying leaves instead of peat moss for aquatic Utricularia.

I'd take my Ferrari out for a spin, go pick up Jessica Simpson and try to make the best of it until I really woke up.

I'd take my Ferrari out for a spin, go pick up Jessica Simpson and try to make the best of it until I really woke up.

*take the passenger seat*

Last edited:
I've wondered this before. Washed coir would replace peat.

My dream would be more like picking up Penelope Cruz in my Lamborghini.....

Last edited:
This is my newest hope. I've expanded testing of these seed starting sponges and other sponges, still too early to tell.

DSC_0250 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Unless someone broke in my home and stole every piece of peat/sphagnum moss, I'd just regrow my own.

I could remove all peat/moss from all my Utrics today if I wanted without really missing it.

I don't use much peat/moss with my Neps, and I could do without it really.

I've growing some of my Cephs in completely peat/moss free mixes/mediums. Even have a Ceph I just rooted from a leaf in Miracle Grow potting soil.

I could remove all peat/moss from my Helis today if I wanted to.

I use more peat for my lawn than I do for my CPs at this point. I use more Sphagnum for shipping plants than growing them at this point.

Tree fern fiber is another great choice, along with Epi-web and the similar products. So many medium options out there that work as well if not better than peat.

I'm pretty sure you could remove all the peat/sphagnum today and it would not slow down the experienced growers much. Peat/sand has been a CP crutch for far to long.

Expand my cacti and succulents to their former numbers

I live in Georgia. I would be satisfied with seeing them in nature when I needed a plant fix.

I wouldn't live much longer.

If I could somehow not find any sphagnum moss anywhere that would mean that a massive portion of the local surrounding ecosystems had suddenly disappeared. I think my carnivorous plants would be the last thing on my mind as landslides and floods overtook the region.

Furthermore Ellie Goulding and I could drive away in my HumanCar. ;)

Back