Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Camera Suggestions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewilder View Post
    Before buying canon, consider the gigapixel Zeiss Merlin.
    Ahhh - but I think it only comes in a Cannon mount also ... ...

Quote Originally Posted by mikewilder View Post
    I wonder how much RAM would be needed to stack 60 1024 MP uncompressed images...
    Maybe ask this guy - incredible images ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is plenty of manual focus macro lenses, bellows, adapters and tubes that you can pickup for decent prices. The optics on many of these are superb. The saying goes no major lens manufacturer ever made a bad prime macro lens.

I suggest looking at Ernie Cooper's work. ECooper is his TF name. He posts regularly on TerraForums. He is using mostly manual focus era optics and bellows. The results speak for themselves.

Ernie's blog:
    http://macrocritters.wordpress.com/
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    The saying goes no major lens manufacturer ever made a bad prime macro lens.
    true, that. Its when you get into zoom territory that things can get dicey. FWIW, I have a Nikkor 28-105 zoom,macro lens and I paid close to $1000 for it nearly ten years ago. It is a superb lens. You get what you pay for.

To the OP: Have you considered used equipment?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    prime lens + stacking extension tubes. results are decent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Ahhh - but I think it only comes in a Cannon mount also ... ...
    well played Ron, well played His Pinguicula shot is very fine indeed. And incidentally it's unclear to me whether that zeiss SEM is really capturing a Gigapixel or whether the 32kp x 32kp "option" is fake pixel software hokum. In any case, for me shooting stereo pairs of utricularia traps on a SEM made it seem like I was getting my money's worth at university. I don't always shoot close ups, but when I do, I prefer dos imagenes SEM.

Phake, you say you are thinking canon point and shoot, I'm sure that you can get satisfactory results with that route. I have a canon point and shoot that has consistently sucked for macro, not in a nitpicky way but just fundamentally, it sucks, it will not focus properly. Maybe it's a faulty sample, maybe it's the model, a different canon point and shoot model was fine. I still think the best advice is go try to shoot some dimes at the store, it will be informative. [And choose a nikon ]

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a canon point and shoot that takes awesome macros (for what it is), I've got another (newer) model that is meh.... not so hot
    Ditto on Nikon, I had and older one (got dropped LOL) that took excellent macros (again, for what it was) replaced with a newer model that sort of sucked.

Much good advice from some very intelligent people... as you see, it's a passionate subject.

Like stated above, I've got Macro and Zoom lenses that cost more than your entire budget... good glass isn't cheap.
    However, you can do well with a good prime lens and extension tube or a nice cult lens... but you got to do your homework.

If you think you might like cult lenses, Canon does have an advantage, more lens formats can be adapted.

Recently "mirrorless" cameras have become the rage, but I like a viewfinder... many times the LED screen is unusable due to ambient conditions.

I'm primarily a Canon owner... in your budget I would probably go this route before I bought a point and click: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...3_Digital.html

Its a versatile entry level refurbished DSLR.... its a start
    Caveat, that is based on my bias toward canon glass and vintage lens use
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 05-23-2014 at 12:20 PM.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some examples of results you can get with manual focus prime lenses and extension tubes. Both of the lenses used were in their time either the budget lens or the next step up from the budget models. The Pentax 50mm f1.7 has an excellent reputation when used for macro work.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1...ts-so-far.html
    Last edited by Not a Number; 05-23-2014 at 12:21 PM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Here are some examples of results you can get with manual focus prime lenses and extension tubes. Both of the lenses used were in their time either the budget lens or the next step up from the budget models. The Pentax 50mm f1.7 has an excellent reputation when used for macro work.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1...ts-so-far.html
    Warning:
    Vintage/Cult lenses are addictive.... proceed with caution

:-)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast