Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camera Suggestions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camera Suggestions

Anyone have any suggestions on a good camera bundle? I have been looking on amazon for some nice Camera bundle (camera memory card battery carrying case etc). I've been looking at cannon powershots. Looking to spenf between 200-400. I'm looking for some suggestiond of models of cameras that would be very good at take high megapixel pictures of my plants. I'd love to take nice zoomed in detail of my drosera tentacles for example. Any information would be wonderful.
    Thanks,
    Phake Mike

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're considering a DSLR,
    You will have more money invested in lenses than the camera in short order

IMHO, look more at the lenses you want...
    Camera bodies get replaced from time to time as they become old/obsolete, but lenses you keep/use for many years/decades.
    I have some vintage lenses that are 50+ yrs old that can take some amazing pics.

For quite a few years now I've bought factory refurbished bodies and have been very pleased. Only had to send one back for exchange.

Canon/Nikon/Pentax/Sony et. al., all have their fanboys/fangirls....
    Sort of Chevy vs. Ford, no one answer is right and no one camera is for everyone

I do recommend B&H as the vendor of choice

just my 2 cents
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 05-23-2014 at 06:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used a canon powershot sd1000 that had decent macro capabilities, but the newer (though still oldish) canon powershot a3300 IS consistently had problems with autofocus in macro. That experience was sufficiently frustrating for me to never trust canon again. YMMV. I've always been well satisfied with nikons, I had an ancient nikon coolpix 4500 that was awesome, and I'm also very pleased with my nikon low end but still pretty great d3200 dslr. I got that body with 2 lenses, sd card, and bag in a black friday bundle from amazon for just under $500. That's higher than your budget and you'd likely have to wait for a deal, but you could sell one of the lenses to end up pretty close to 400.

One key question is whether you want to be able to hold your camera 2 inches away from the subject. If so finding the right point and shoot will let you do that. With the default lens that came with my dslr, I'm probably a foot away from the subject, but I'm still filling a 24 mp frame with a small plant. Either way you can get nice tentacle shots. Most photographers think of getting 2 inches away from the subject for macro a problem, not a feature anyway, because then it's harder to light. I'm a nikon fanboy, no doubt, I'd say just go to target or whatever store, put a dime on the counter, try taking macros of it with the different models, and see what you think. You can get a lot of camera for 200$, but my bad experience with that canon suggests it's worth trying before you buy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    Canon/Nikon/Pentax/Sony et. al., all have their fanboys/fangirls....
    Sort of Chevy vs. Ford, no one answer is right and no one camera is for everyone
    While obviously true, if you go the DSLR route & someday think you might want to take crazy macro close-up pics, you've got to go w/ Canon as the most extreme close-up lens made is only in this mount - MP-E 65mm

If you go this route (or just want very high quality macro images), do some research of focus-stacking. The pics that can be done are amazing.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If $400 is your ceiling, I doubt you will get a very versatile kit for what you're willing to invest. There isn't a worthwhile macro-capable lens alone that I'd pay that little for to get what I want. Just saying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ron the MP-E 65mm is a nice lens, but why settle for 5x when really crazy magnification is within reach? Before buying canon, consider the gigapixel Zeiss Merlin. Gold coating the subject is kind of a hassle, but you never have to worry about available light. Plus, for 72 dpi web work, there's a fair amount of leeway to crop:

http://www.zeiss.com/microscopy/en_d...e-science.html

I wonder how much RAM would be needed to stack 60 1024 MP uncompressed images...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you live neat a costco their packages are pretty awesome. And they have a 90 day return policy. Try to find that anywhere else.
    Also read over their business model. They claim to never charge more than a 15% markup. Their prices are very competitve.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcal View Post
    If you live neat a costco their packages are pretty awesome. And they have a 90 day return policy. Try to find that anywhere else.
    Also read over their business model. They claim to never charge more than a 15% markup. Their prices are very competitve.
    One caveat: Some of these Costco packages are not all they seem to be. Case in point, a few years ago I bought one of the Nikon DSLR packages that included one of the D-series bodies and two zoom lenses. The body was standard issue for the model, but both lenses were crap. Utter junk. Barrel distortion, vignetting, low contrast, poor sharpness -- you name it, any flaw possible to build into a lens was represented in both of those pieces of glass. I was grateful I already had an excellent lens I could use. The other two got donated to a local thrift shop.

Just something you should consider.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast