Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm so stupid... (Water TDS)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    A Notho that likes hard water? Are you sure? Only worked with rachovii Beira 98, but all the annual Killies I'm familiar with like it soft.
    Annual fish? It is already hard enough getting some annual species to set seed each year; I can't imagine what it must be like making sure fish breed each year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They don't necessarily die within a year in captivity, but in the wild the waters they live in do dry up every year.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    At that reading you shouldn't have to flush the pots, especially if you're top watering and allowing water to run through on each watering. That will help prevent anything from building up. Wish I could use tap water!

I've been keeping Nothobranchius palmqvisti for quite a few years now. At first I kept every fish that hatched (moving the non-breeders to my planted tank) but since they mature so quickly they really do get aged and sickly looking fairly quickly. I end up feeling bad for keeping them alive than nature has taught them to. So basically I do what most annual killifish people do, keep one male and 3-4 females for breeding and cull off the others. And once I get a few bags of eggs, cull off those ones.
    I've always used tap water for them, I tried RO water at one point because someone mentioned them liking that... and the freshly hatched fry died off. I'd assume PH swing or something but really don't know. Went right back to using treated tap water. I have a few topics on TF regarding annuals....

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-palmqvisti%29
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...rubripinnis%29

I tried rachovii Beira 98 once, but didn't get any to hatch, I think the guy sent me some cultures of other live food too saying their mouths as babies are really small and couldn't start off with brine shrimp like other annuals.

I kept a couple cycles of Nematolebias papilliferus too, but gave away my eggs, man they eat a lot!!

Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the 30PPM end of the range, that water is certainly safe for Nepenthes -- as you get more towards the 80PPM end, you will want to perform regular flushings to clear accumulations of minerals (if you aren't already doing so), and avoid letting plants stand in water. I would have no problem using the municipal water, as long as you monitor the TDS and watch for "hot spikes" (I would guess that is unlikely). Calcium is one of the minerals that Nepenthes require for good health and at those concentrations it is an asset, not a worry.
    Last edited by Whimgrinder; 05-22-2014 at 06:27 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Nothobranchius... No specific species. Just whatever is on aquabid.
    Nothos like any water that is wet In nature they are most frequently found in pools with high TDS.

I would suggest researching species and sellers before purchasing eggs on AB. Nothing more disappointing than incubating a bag of dirt for 3+ months only to hatch nothing. Best to locate Notho breeders nearby or find someone willing to ship 4 week old fish.

Andrew has valuable insight into raising these fish and has been very successful with N. palmqvistii.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    At the 30PPM end of the range, that water is certainly safe for Nepenthes -- as you get more towards the 80PPM end, you will want to perform regular flushings to clear accumulations of minerals (if you aren't already doing so), and avoid letting plants stand in water. I would have no problem using the municipal water, as long as you monitor the TDS and watch for "hot spikes" (I would guess that is unlikely). Calcium is one of the minerals that Nepenthes require for good health and at those concentrations it is an asset, not a worry.
    +1

Now you can spend your money on plants

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mato View Post

Mine showed up in the mail the other day. So glad I got it. My water is coming out of the spigot at about 35ppm. So much better than buying distilled.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12