What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which bulbs are best?

Looking to replace all of my old T5HOs, but not sure which color to go with. Not looking to get vines or flowers, just want to grow my neps. Would 6500k or 10,000k be best? I never did fully understand the spectrum chart.
I would mix & match a few of the different bulbs, but only allowed 1 spectrum per case of 25 bulbs.

The options: http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/htgsupply/T5_BULBS_GALLERY_1.jpg

I really like the 6500K GE Starcoat bulbs. If you don't supplement with any red bulbs, the plants will be relatively compact and won't be quick to vine or flower. The 10,000K bulbs will be more harm than good.

I really like the 6500K GE Starcoat bulbs. If you don't supplement with any red bulbs, the plants will be relatively compact and won't be quick to vine or flower. The 10,000K bulbs will be more harm than good.

Perfect! I tried catching you in the chat to ask this question, but you had already gone.

Sunlight at sea level is about 6500K. Higher K numbers approximate the light as one goes deeper underwater, where red is filtered out preferentially over blue.

Thanks again for the tip Mat.
Just found a case of 30 - 6500K T5HO GE Starcoat bulbs for $22 shipped!!

That's an incredibly good deal. I think those are usually like $12 each. Assuming they're new?

That's an incredibly good deal. I think those are usually like $12 each. Assuming they're new?

meh'.. too good to be true.
It was advertised as (30pcs per case) with a unit price, but they failed to mention that wasn't the cost for the entire case. Rather, just the cost per bulb.
Actual cost for the entire case is $68.48. Which is still pretty good IMO..

Last edited:
Back