What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP-safe Cat Deterrent?

Hey everyone,

For the past few months, I've had a problem with my outdoor cats getting into one of my bog gardens. They'll rip the pitchers off my sarracenia, step all over my drosera, and pull my VFT out of the soil and leave it on my deck, traps all bitten off. Miraculously, all of the plants are still alive, but it's definitely causing some major setbacks in their growth.

So here's my question: Is there something I can put on/around the plants to keep the cats away without spending a ton of money or resorting to some unsightly chickenwire fence?

I'm having the same battle with Groundhog - and I'm about to spend the money on proper fencing.

Maybe planting catnip elsewhere to distract them?

I'm having the same battle with Groundhog - and I'm about to spend the money on proper fencing.

Actually, the whole reason I picked up my cats was to deter rodent pests--especially chipmunks. Eventually the two of them grew into pets, but they still do their, ahem, duties.

But anyways, this is interesting. I've never had this problem with either of my cats. The biggest issue I've ever had with them is having them drink out of my water trays. Perhaps there's too many other things to distract them, or maybe they're too friendly. It might be both.

If your bog garden is in a tray, moving it to somewhere a bit higher might deter them. I know, I know, cats can jump super-high--I've seen it myself--but if they have to go far out of their way to get at your plants, they might stop. If it's not in a tray or too heavy to move up, I would follow what Dragoness said and just distract them with something else.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys! I will definitely try the catnip. I have tried putting them up high on the handrail of my deck, but that hasn't stopped them from chewing on the plants. That has stopped them from sitting in the planter, though.

I don't know why, but even my indoor cats love to destroy my plants as well. I once left a Sarracenia on my windowsill for just one day, and came home to find pitchers scattered all over my house.

Look up "Cat Repellent Plants" and you'll have many choices.

Also try Wolf Urine, search it and you will find it sold as a liquid and as granules.

Good Luck!

You could use a Scarecrow. This is a sprinkler you attach to your garden hose. It activates any time something crosses its sensors path.

Maybe planting catnip elsewhere to distract them?
Groundhogs in the garden are not a problem, they're an opportunity. An opportunity for a very tasty meal! Season it like you would spare ribs or brisket, cook it low and slow until it pulls apart easily. MMMMMMMM! Just make sure to remove the scent sacs before you cook it...........

Back