What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some questions about Neem Oil

Zath

Enthusiastic Enthusiast
Let me preface this by informing you that I've recently realized I have a thrip infestation of my outdoor Sarr's and VFT's (and my non-cp plants as well). Bearing that in mind, I've started Neem oil treatment on everything.

The first question: Is Neem Oil lethal to bees, butterflies, and other pollinators? (I'm assuming that as a broad-spectrum pesticide, it is)

The second: Can it be used on sundews / pings?

I'm running out of room in the terrarium, so I've decided it's time to move a few things outdoors to make room. I can either do this immediately, or wait a week or two, but either way, I intend to keep up a weekly regimen of treatment so as to avoid any future infestations and the resulting deformation of leaves.

I'd like to know if this can have a negative impact on Drosera or Pinguicula due to an interaction between the Neem solution and their dew.

And lastly (for the moment), has anyone tried mixing Neem oil with another oil base, such as olive or canola oil? I've heard that using oil as a base can help get rid of most soft-bodied insects by clogging up their trachea (I think that's the adult term for "air-hole", but it's been years since I looked at an anatomy diagram, so I could be wrong).

Last edited:
I have used neem oil on my sub tropical sundews without any adverse effects. Sorry I cannot answer your other questions.

Spiracle is the word you are looking for.

Generally Neem oil is safe to use (in the recommended concentrations) on Drosera and Pinguicula. I couldn't say concerning olive or canola oil. The general rule is oil and Drosera don't mix. There's a photo of the Drosera section at one botanical garden with a sign that reads "NO OILS!". Neem is a low/short persistent oil - it evaporates in a few days to a week. So other low persistent oils maybe be ok. Maybe.

Neem is mostly a contact pesticide. It works as a growth inhibitor on many fungi as well a insect eggs or larvae. It also interferes with feeding and digestion on mainly chewing type insects. And it can clog the spiracles. If in doubt, test the usage on a sample of your collection, not everything.

Spiracle is the word you are looking for.

Generally Neem oil is safe to use (in the recommended concentrations) on Drosera and Pinguicula. I couldn't say concerning olive or canola oil. The general rule is oil and Drosera don't mix. There's a photo of the Drosera section at one botanical garden with a sign that reads "NO OILS!". Neem is a low/short persistent oil - it evaporates in a few days to a week. So other low persistent oils maybe be ok. Maybe.

Neem is mostly a contact pesticide. It works as a growth inhibitor on many fungi as well a insect eggs or larvae. It also interferes with feeding and digestion on mainly chewing type insects. And it can clog the spiracles. If in doubt, test the usage on a sample of your collection, not everything.

Very informative, thank you. I'm glad that I won't have to worry overmuch about using it on dews.

If I do decide to experiment with oils, it will most definitely be tried on my non-cp plants first, and if it doesn't seem to hurt, burn, or otherwise cause the plants to suffer, I may extend the experiment to the Sarrs and VFT's (one or two).

I'll have to do some research and reading before that happens though. I'll stick with the manufacturer recommendations until then.

Oh...my poor little Royal Red. She's had such a hard time in my care, lol. I expect most everything to pull through, but my outdoor collection will probably look pretty fugly for the rest of this year.

In addition to being an anti-feedent, it is supposed to cause them to lose interest in reproducing. It takes time for the neem to eradicate pests. Repeated doses, every few days, over weeks, gets the job done.

Back