What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a certain type of pot that is a certain size and shape.

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
Hello. I'm going to be repotting some plants soon and I'm looking for a certain type of pot for the new growing area. The size of the pot needs to be 3.5 inches in diameter but relatively tall (at least 4.5inches tall) so it would be relatively narrow. It can be either square or circular, but would prefer it to be plastic.

Places like Home Depot and Lowes don't have what I'm looking for so I'm wondering if there are any specialty gardening stores that might carry this type.

If they have any hydro grow stores or greenhouse/indoor grow stores, you could check them. Otherwise, you may have to make something yourself out of a plastic bottle or something.

If you don't mind it seeming a bit cheap, you could always use those plastic "party cups". They are about the size you specify, but are much cheaper, and work just as well in my opinion.

Depending upon what "look" you want and how imaginative you are, try hitting a thrift store like GoodWill or Salvation Army. While it is always a crap shoot doing so, you may luck out and find either an actual pot fitting your needs or a container (plastic or ceramic) that will do just fine once you drill a hole or two in it. The following are two examples of containers I picked up for a buck or two, drilled drainage holes and now use as pots (neither is plastic but they make the point):

Try a. Nursery . I get free un used pots from my local one.

Wondering what plant needs such specific dimensions

Depending upon what "look" you want and how imaginative you are, try hitting a thrift store like GoodWill or Salvation Army. While it is always a crap shoot doing so, you may luck out and find either an actual pot fitting your needs or a container (plastic or ceramic) that will do just fine once you drill a hole or two in it. The following are two examples of containers I picked up for a buck or two, drilled drainage holes and now use as pots (neither is plastic but they make the point):

IMG_0371_zps64f625e2.jpg
[/URL]

Out of curiosity, this that a fire star aloe?
And as bio said, a party cup would do the trick.

Greenh**se Mega**ore has a wide variety, but is out of some I had gotten before with "clipped" edges. Only downside is minimum shipping of $7.99. You gotta need a bunch to justify that.

Wondering what plant needs such specific dimensions

It's more of a looks thing. I have this set up:
MfIWs6h.jpg

and I want to have two of these pots growing in the space beneath the light side by side. One will have a Cephalotus, and the other will have either a Mexican Pinguicula or a Drosera capensis (still haven't decided).

They aren't as pretty necessarily but it drives me nuts using different pots. It was nice to finally find a bulk order place that also didn't make you order by the thousands.

Actually this has been my favorite pot I have found so far but the price is a little steep.

super-orchid-net-pots-more.jpg

It might be a bit too big for your setup though. They are 4" wide and 8" deep. I would love to stock up on them at some point.

http://www.tindaraorchids.com/orchid_pots.htm

Last edited:
Back