What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you could grow only one carnivorous plant, what would it be?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
Let's say due to money constraints or whatever, you could only grow one carnivorous plant. What would it be and why?

Personally, I would only have Cephalotus (which is currently what I'm doing now because I'm planning to move soon). It looks like Audrey Junior from Little Shop of Horrors, it's relatively easy to grow (once you get the hang of it), and it stays relatively compact so you don't have to worry about it outgrowing it's space unlike a Nepenthes or something.

Sarracenia 'Adrian Slack' as a huge, expansive clonal colony that went on for miles and was 5 million years old

Last edited:
Sarracenia flava v. rupricola x v. cuprea because its real Purdy,...sorry no pic ATM

Last edited:
Either a large Nepenthes inermis with tons of uppers, or (more likely) Genlisea uncinata, grown with traps extending into a water-filled display case.

Probably a Truncata or darlingtonia.

I think maybe D. scorpioides or an N. bongso var robusta. They're both so pretty :love::love::love:

N. argentii

that is a tough one......I think I would go with a colony of Reptilian Rose based on where I live....if I lived in a more nep friendly environment perhaps a gigantor red x orange bical.

Drosera burmannii. They grow fast and eat a lot and are really fun to watch go from seed to flower.

Either Nepenthes Hamata, giant spectabilis, or maybe a truncata.

Darlingtonia, they're so easy you just 'flood and forget' and they don't look too bad.

Well, that's forget apart from having very meaningful discussions with them. I like the way they always nod in agreement.

N. sibuyanensis x (spectabilis x aristolochioides). An extremely vigorous grower, no matter where I put it. The only downside is it rarely pitchers once it vines. The pitchers have great shape tthough. ( My avatar is the last pitcher it made for me).

Utricularia bisquamata. Fascinating species - and horticulturally challenging as well.

Guess I'll be the first boring answer, lol.

VFT's. Typical would be fine, or a cultivar with reds and yellows.

They're easy to care for, and look mighty impressive in large clumps with 1" traps gaping open.

Cephalotus
Always the plant that draws my attention

If I could only grow outdoors it would be sarracenia purpurea montana. As far as outdoors plant go, there's nothing more beautiful than a purp

just a cute pinguicula moranensis! they are always flowering and are the easiest plant to keep alive!!(in my opinion :p)

Nepenthes lowii x campanulata ... had one, then got lost in the shuffle when I moved out. I will always remember this plant, so amazing looking.

Last edited:
Back