Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plant donations

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    What species and what kind of numbers are you talking about? One of the botanical gardens here does regular educational programs involving carnivorous plants for children.

If you are making large and frequent shipments interstate you'll need a nursery growers license (somewhat like a phytosanitary certificate) to put on your shipments. Otherwise you are likely to run afoul of the USDA, USPS (if used) and the Agriculture departments of the states involved.
    It is my understanding--at least in my state--that the next level of permit down from that is a hobbyist's permit. Under $100 usually, and works for up to ~1000 plants/year. Our state Dept of Agriculture handles that process.
    Last edited by theplantman; 08-07-2014 at 11:04 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kevin, I believe we can work something out! Look for my email.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, for future reference, check if there is a local plant swap in your area. In my city, we have 2 plant swaps a year. People bring their extras and give them away, sometimes for trade often for free. It's a good way to move a lot of plant matter.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplantman View Post
    It is my understanding--at least in my state--that the next level of permit down from that is a hobbyist's permit. Under $100 usually, and works for up to ~1000 plants/year. Our state Dept of Agriculture handles that process.
    It differs from state to state. Some states have an exception permit if the sales are for fund raising (legitimate). Some, like Georgia have "hobbyist" license/permits. CA has an exception permit but it is only if sales are less than $100 per year and restricted to a geographic location (by zip code).

This isn't something to ignore because the fines for shipping without the permits can be as high as $10,000 in CA. And some states go after both the shipper and the recipient.

Your State Agriculture Department is usually the agency you want to contact. I've posted resources that list each state's agency as well as listings of the requirements/regulations for each state. Search on "Shipping plants".
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcal View Post
    Kevin, I believe we can work something out! Look for my email.
    Sounds good--looking forward to it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have not yet received an email--is there still any interest in this?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anramitaco View Post
    Know any science teachers? I unloaded a bunch of D. capensis on a friend of mine who teaches biology and could use them in her classroom.
    I did a similar thing before.
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12