Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: BaseDrifter's Photo Dump/Update Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About a month ago I received a root cutting of a D. 'Marston Dragon' that is now unfurling 5 leaves. Can't wait to see what this plant does in the next year.

The S. minor var. okefenokeensis (Ware Co, GA) (Unique seedling) continues to pump out new pitchers, about one every week or two. Hasn't shown any sign of slowing down for dormancy yet, and that's fine with me!

This jumping spider has taken up residence inside the top of one of the pitchers and has no problem catching food!

The Okee Giant also attracts other critters to the plants…like this grasshopper who was feasting on the nectar. I think this video does a great job showing the S. minor trap's light mechanism, dark in the front near the hood with bright light shining through the fenestrations at the back of the trap.

Here are some pictures of my S. x readei from May of this year as its first spring pitchers were just opening up. I'm still astonished by its growth this year. It has turned into a bush! The fall pitchers are opening up with a gorgeous magenta pink coloring and look amazing.

May 2014

Back when you could actually see the rhizome through the growth. (Note all the dead leaf stems that provided an excellent home for my mealybug infestation to take off…lesson learned.)

October 2014

And finally, a shot of a D. sessilifolia flower.

Last edited by BaseDrifter; 03-22-2015 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Nomenclature

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    woah, love your photos, keep em coming. love the S. x readei [not an accepted name]. the rhizome all look so healthy and fat ^_^
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-30-2015 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Nomenclature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! It is definitely a fat rhizome. My plan for dormancy is to pull it up and break off any loose pieces while trying to keep the main part of it intact for repotting. I'm a little worried about what I'll find when I pull it up though. I'm hoping the middle of it hasn't decayed too badly, mealybug damage is also a concern. I've promised a division to two people already, but if I get an extra piece I will probably throw it up on here for a giveaway.

I had to do some emergency rearranging of my plants yesterday. We had some pretty high winds that knocked the Okee off the ledge 3' to the ground. I ended up grouping The Okee, S. leucophylla, S. minor, and S. flava together in a joint tray that is keeping them stable and moving some of the smaller plants to individual trays.

It also looks like the D. omissa x pulchella has some gemmae ready! I may try to plant those today along with the D. filiformis and D. intermedia seeds I have.

Still waiting for my S. x readei seed pods to crack open.
    Last edited by BaseDrifter; 03-22-2015 at 11:51 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a beautiful collection, very nice S. x readei [not an accepted name]. Love the video of the grasshooper.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-30-2015 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Nomenclature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks DJ57!

Today was a Drosera project day.

Last June when I expanded my collection from my S. x readei I got a few D. capensis hitchhikers as well. Today I excavated one that came with my VFT and the one that was in my S. leucophylla and potted them in their own pots. I bought three Ecoform rice hull pots and used the middle pot for my D. capensis "wide" seeds I harvested from its flower stalk.

It's now a tray of D. capensis!

My D. omissa x pulchella put up a set of gemmae last week. I snagged this pot today, flipped the D. omissa x pulchella upside down and scraped about 50 gemmae onto the soil surface, there looks to be even more developing. Hopefully this pot is covered with little pygmy sundews in a few months! I'm a little concerned about rain throwing them out of the pot, if it starts to rain real hard I'll throw some saran wrap over the top.

Not the best quality peat moss…but it'll do. I spread out the gemmae after taking this picture so they wouldn't be quite so clumped together.

While continuing to battle the mealybugs in my S. x readei I spotted this jumping spider who has made a nest inside one of the pitcher tubes. He looked quite comfortable.

And finally a new overview picture. Sorry for the poor quality, I was losing light quickly.

Left to right:

S. x readei
    Darlingtonia californica
    Drosera capensis "wide"
    D. muscipula "typical"
    D. omissa x pulchella
    D. 'Marston Dragon'
    Quad tray holding D. binata, S. minor var. okefenokeensis, S. minor, S. leucophylla, and S. flava var. maxima x flava var. rugelii
    New triple tray with two D. capensis and D. capensis "wide" seeds
    S. x readei division and a D. sessilifolia
    S. x moorei (Walton Co, FL) (From the Wilkerson's bog)
    D. omissa x pulchella gemmae pot
    S. x moorei (Walton Co, FL) (From the Wilkerson's bog)

Last edited by BaseDrifter; 03-22-2015 at 11:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time for a first day of winter update. Things are getting busy with repotting, sowing seeds, trading plants, and I'll be dividing my S. x readei soon.

It's beginning to look like Medusa with the pitchers starting to fall over.

I finally got my D. californica out of the dark green plastic pot it was in and into a lighter colored one. Should help keep the roots cool next year and it looks much nicer now as well.

I've enjoyed seeing my S. minor v. okefenokeensis darken up as the pitchers age. Getting a nice coppery color to the top of the traps.

The D. 'Marston Dragon' root cutting I received awhile ago has exploded in growth, though it hasn't produced any multi-forked leaves yet.

The VFT has stopped producing any new traps and is a nice tight clump right now.

A local nursery was having a 30% off sale on house plants and I picked up my first couple of "death cube" plants, a VFT and what appears to be a sorry looking D. spatulata. We'll see how they're doing in a few months.

Crazy to see how pitiful it looks next to my healthy VFT.

I traded some D. omissa x pulchella gemmae with TheCarnivoreGirl for a division of her S. flava var. cuprea. Doesn't look like much now but I'm sure it will put on a show in the spring.

My pot full of D. omissa x pulchella gemmae is looking great. Lots of little life everywhere.

Also seeing a lot of life from the pot of D. capensis "wide" seeds.

Speaking of seeds, I started stratification of 3 sets of Sarracenia seeds and two different Drosera.

S. (x readei) x self
    S. (x moorei) x minor "red"
    S. purpurea subsp. venosa var. montana x OP
    D. intermedia
    D. filiformis

I also have 5 new sets of seeds coming from hcarlton, looking forward to getting those started.

D. capensis 'Albino'
    D. x tokaiensis
    D. burmannii "pilliga red"
    D. spatulata "white flower"
    U. subulata

Finally, a wall of rain drops suspended around my old D. omissa x pulchella plants.

Last edited by BaseDrifter; 03-22-2015 at 11:54 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't wait to see how my little S. flava var. cuprea will flourish in your care!
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-29-2015 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Nomenclature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, and I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures of the D. omissa x pulchella in full bloom.

I may also be sending you another surprise in the next month, we'll see.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast