Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: BaseDrifter's Photo Dump/Update Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has been a big week of potting, repotting, sowing seeds, and dividing. More work will be done tomorrow, but today I divided my big S. x readei.

I got 7 divisions out of it, many with multiple growth points, and a couple smaller ones. Even after taking the divisions the plant barely looks any smaller (which is a good thing.) After dividing it I moved it into a 15" pot from the 12" pot it was in. Should give it some room to grow for another year or two. I was quite disappointed to find some mealybugs at the root base. I was hoping that my doses of Orthene would've knocked them out, but nope. I killed the ones I did find, but I'm sure there are some more deeper inside the root ball and middle of the rhizome. I decided to keep the core of the plant intact for another year, I'll battle the mealybugs where I can. Next year I may have to break the whole plant apart to really clean it out which is a shame, I really like having one big mother rhizome.

The new pot and the old.

What I started with.

LFS layer on the bottom to keep the peat moss from draining out of the hole.

After an hour of mixing and packing peat moss/sand, the pot was filled…and now weighs about 50 lbs. Oof.

Roots sticking out of the drainage hole in the old pot, time to move it to a bigger home!

Just a little root bound. The roots were lining the bottom and came back up the sides.

Fresh and delicious looking growth points.

6 of the 7 divisions I made. I got the 7th division by breaking a piece off the massive rhizome on the left.

A rhizome for TheCarnivoreGirl, YourRealMom, and Goodkoalie. One rhizome is being donated to Berkeley Horticultural to be added to their bog garden (quite an honor for me), one rhizome to giveaway here on TF (won by SubRosa), and one to give away on Sarracenia forums. The last rhizome (the big one on the left) I'm keeping for myself along with the little nub of a rhizome.

The mother plant all potted up in its new home.

Closeup of one of the divisions.

All 7 divisions bagged up before going to their new homes. The pitchers will get trimmed down before I ship them out.

I picked up a few sets of seeds from hcarlton that I sowed as well. I made two new triple tray sets, the red set contains three Drosera seeds and the white set my Utricularia.

From left to right.

D. spatulata "white flower"
    D. burmannii "pilliga red"
    D. x tokaiensis

The white triple tray set is for my Utricularia.

U. subulata on the left.
    A pot full of U. bisquamata in the middle.
    U. sandersonii will eventually reside in the right most pot, though it is empty right now.

The green pot at the end contains D. capensis 'Albino' seeds.

This week I won a division of S. alata var. nigrapupurea (a Mike Wang plant) and got it potted up.

Lastly, a quick update on the two death cube plants I picked up a a couple weeks ago. Both are showing a lot of red pigmentation now where there was none before.

VFT

The D. spatulata has had a pronounced change, it is MUCH more red now, but still has not produced any dew. Not terribly worried about the lack of dew as the sunlight hours are so few right now.

When I got it.

How it looks now.

Last edited by BaseDrifter; 03-22-2015 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Nomenclature

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful. i love watching the repotting processes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks NemJones, I'm quite liking that picture of the root ball fresh out of the old pot myself. I'll have more pictures to post up tomorrow. I'll be turning the old 12" pot that the S. x readei was in into a small bog garden. Planning to put my S. flava, S. leucophylla, and S. minor in that pot along with a D. capensis and maybe some D. binata. I'll also be moving my Okee Giant into a ceramic pot.

I was looking forward to doing all the shuffling around and repotting, but now I'm looking forward to it being done. Can't imagine how much work people like Mike Wang, Rob Co, Jerry Addington, etc must put in to their collections.
    Last edited by BaseDrifter; 03-22-2015 at 11:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did some more rearranging today.

I started off by repotting my S. minor var. okefenokeensis. I've had a jumping spider living in one of the pitchers for the last 3 months, unfortunately it was very loose at the rhizome and broke off when I was repotting it. Since I love seeing my little spider every day, I stuck the pitcher into the right edge of the pot.

I made my first little mini bog today using the pot that my S. x readei used to be in. I put a division of my S. x readii, S. flava var. rugelii x flava var. maxima, S. leucophylla, and S. minor in it.

While I was pulling plants up I got a good look at a set of U. bisquamata traps. Awesome little things! This was the first time I got to actually see an utric trap, very cool.

I also repotted my D. capensis, D. 'Marston Dragon', and D. binata.
    Last edited by BaseDrifter; 03-22-2015 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Nomenclature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm awaiting the arrival of two more plants (S. 'Judith Hindle' and U. sandersonii) before I can call my dormancy time activities done. In the meantime here's a quick update.

I picked up some new plants in the last couple weeks.

- S. x excellens - (S. leucophylla "burgundy" x S. minor var. okefenokeensis) (pink clone) (Mike Wang)
    - S. x excellens - (S. leucophylla "burgundy" x S. minor var. okefenokeensis) (green face) (Mike Wang)
    - S. leucophylla (Baldwin Co, AL) (various clones) (Mike Wang)
    - S. flava var. rubricorpora (Liberty Co, FL) (various clones) (Mike Wang)
    - S. flava var. rubricorpora "agristats" x flava var. ornata (Phil Faulisi)

January is supposed to be our wettest month in CA but we haven't had a single drop of rain. It's also been in the 60s and 70s, not good for keeping the plants dormant and the first flower buds are starting to poke their heads out.

S. alata var. nigrapurpurea

My pot of D. omissa x pulchella is coming along nicely.

As are my D. capensis "wide" seedlings.

Plopped my VFT into a nicer looking pot. Still debating about whether I should divide it or not this year…

A couple weeks ago I trimmed off a pitcher from my S. x readei, slit it open, and let it dry out for a few days revealing the massacre inside.

A division of the S. x readei I made last summer is still showing great color, even while covered in spider webs.

I also moved my plants off the wall they were on for the time being so I can finish the fence in the backyard without risk of damaging my plants. When the fence is done I'll be making a communal planter of some kind. Watering this many plants individually is pretty annoying.

Last edited by BaseDrifter; 03-22-2015 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Nomenclature

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of it looks so good! I especially love that spider webby Sarracenia. Looks evil!

If you dont mind me asking, whered you get those square pots? I really need some.
    ~Burgeoning connoisseur of all things ventricosa or otherwise tubby.~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Sashoke!

All of the non-ceramic pots are Eco-form rice hull pots. I get them from my local nursery, but you can buy them direct from the manufacturer online.

http://ecoforms-store.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oo I love your table, I think I'm going to copy both your water collecting system snd the set up of this table. Btw I couldn't stop looking at your plants and new acquired ones!!! Soooo pretty

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast