What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boom! Who doesn't love pictures? We all love pictures, and this thread is where you'll find a lot of mine!

Here's an overview of the current collection.

From back to front:

1. S. x readei
2. Darlingtonia californica
3. S. flava v. rugelii x flava v. maxima / D. binata
4. S. minor v. okefenokeensis
5. S. x readei division
6. S. leucophylla / D. binata
7. D. omissa x pulchella
8. S. minor
9. D. capensis
10. Dionaea muscipula "typical"
11. U. bisquamata scattered about

PL2RsOg.jpg

S. x readei in all its glory.

WKdTNpR.jpg

Fresh S. x readei pitcher.

GPOVb82.jpg

Nectar and pollen covered S. x readei flower.

5ZMVMpI.jpg

An adorable little jumping spider.

s7QA9Vc.jpg

S. minor v. okefenokeensis.

D4PIuJ0.jpg

D. omissa x pulchella.

TJS0oq1.jpg

S. leucophylla pitcher rimmed with nectar.

Pj1iqvm.jpg

D. omissa x pulchella flowers.

ZeTtz0f.jpg

CWN0C87.jpg

8sWLPa1.jpg

A much whiter S. leucophylla pitcher (same plant).

WhYcLUj.jpg

Jumping spider feasting on a fly while balanced on a S. x readei flower.

oQ3Wh0N.jpg

is41YsZ.jpg

VFT digestive fluids rise from a trap re-opening.

zaqtDsd.jpg

The victim.

stSCnH7.jpg

Darlingtonia californica.

1uCYNZT.jpg

Fresh growth point on the S. minor v. okefenokeensis.

f167w5S.jpg

A fly struggling to escape from a hole in a S. x readei pitcher.

HxlcV4y.jpg

Jumping spider cautiously exploring the pygmy sundew.

yQSHP8l.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice plants! Beautiful S. leucophylla!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice plants! Beautiful S. leucophylla!

Thanks a lot, I updated the descriptions as well.

Can't wait for the new plants to get here, not sure where I'm gonna put them all yet though!

I made a big ICPS seed bank order a few days ago and then that sale happened. I've got a 10"×20" seedling tray filled up with all the seeds I ordered and now 15 grown plants on the way from that sale. I literally just got a light fixture for my room and now almost all the growing area will be occupied! I guess there are worse problems to have :)

Very nice looking plants. I really like the red S. leucophylla and your S. x readei [not an accepted name]is very well grown!

Beautiful pictures!

I made a big ICPS seed bank order a few days ago and then that sale happened. I've got a 10"×20" seedling tray filled up with all the seeds I ordered and now 15 grown plants on the way from that sale. I literally just got a light fixture for my room and now almost all the growing area will be occupied! I guess there are worse problems to have :)

Indeed, good luck with the seeds! This will be the first year I try to grow from seed. I'll probably end up containing the line of plants on my wall when the other 8 arrive.

Very nice looking plants. I really like the red S. leucophylla and your S. x readei is very well grown!

Thank you! I'm curious to see how the S. leucophylla turns out as it matures since it has had varying color in the pitchers. It recently put up two more that lack the deep red peristome of the young pitcher.

Beautiful pictures!

Thanks! Here's some more.

A few months ago I watched (and recorded) a bug chew its way out of the side of the pitcher and the ants went to town raiding it afterwards.

That pitcher is not looking so good now. I'm used to seeing pitcher "indigestion" from these gluttonous plants but I've never seen a pitcher's mouth collapse like this one.

pAf8fBc.jpg

0nHcPqI.jpg

Cj2nuE9.jpg

S. flava v. rugelii x flava v. maxima with more normal looking discoloration.

hwRgQg7.jpg

The Okee Giant is looking better than ever. I didn't expect to see pitchers twice the size of the ones on the plant when I purchased it. It's growing to be one of my favorites, the minor's hood is striking.

ZnPJtRs.jpg

RKiCIum.jpg

The Darlingtonia californica appears to be doing well, despite some birds walking all over it and picking at the sphagnum. I've been making sure to keep the roots cool with distilled water ice cubes when I can, though it's probably not needed with the temps only getting into the mid 70s.

kefDT9o.jpg

Ft8DXR0.jpg

"The Thicket" continues to look wild, the dichotomas are really filling in and the D. capensis has flowered.

0XAq7Bg.jpg

PoSoeZg.jpg

iiUUFRn.jpg

QqI0gS7.jpg

IAIyUtB.jpg

The garden is filled with ladybug larva and their recently molted finals forms. Check out how wet and soft the shell of this ladybug is, can't be more than an hour old.

tUTcJAz.jpg

Hard to believe those dainty little bugs come from this ****** crocodile looking larva.

lvs4whR.jpg

Here's a series of photos from a couple weeks ago of a larva turning into a ladybug while anchored to an S. x readei flower.

lvs4whR.jpg

4U47c2K.jpg

JnpPCGZ.jpg

3RkAMSL.jpg

8KK4p59.jpg

And finally, I saw this guy the other day hanging out on a pot.

XbnBn7b.jpg

oC3VLLq.jpg

Last edited:
Today I received a D. sessilifolia from Charlie after being selected in his drawing. This thing is tiny! About the size of a quarter. Thankfully the single long root was still intact and I planted it in my mixed pot of plants.

'Nother picture of the CP thicket.

w02vjxr.jpg

Nature's version of medieval stocks.

CRnRIEH.jpg

VFT and D. capensis flowers mid cycle.

cJfOjJy.jpg

The other day I finished a small photo project with the Okee giant showing the change in coloration of the lid as a pitcher matures.

842shct.gif

You can see the rest of the photos here.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/s...are-County-GA-Unique-seedling)-lid-coloration

Last edited:
i love your photos, thanks for sharing.

Thanks a lot man, I appreciate that.

An attentive eye on my collection (and lots of spare time at the moment) means I see a lot of opportunities for new pictures and content. I'll keep 'em coming.

I'm enjoying this as well! Awesome pics!

Thanks Dragoness! Here are two bonus pictures. :)

D. capensis actually has very pretty flowers, despite it's 'weedy' reputation.

^Agreed!

Had some lovely light this morning, here's a young S. leucophylla pitcher with a full head of hair.

tDVwhhZ.jpg

First real signs of life from the D. sessilifolia today!

Not looking too hot on August 30th, 3 days after arrival.

Today (sept 8th) at noon.

6 hours later.

As my last update was about the D. sessilifolia, I'll start off this update with it as well.

It has started to flower!

I also received two S. x moorei (Walton Co, FL) from Jay Lechtman as a prize for correctly guessing the name of a once popular song that has the number 47 in its lyrics twice. (The answer was Wild Wild West by Escape Club.) I have high hopes for these two.

The sole pitcher has started to redden up after being outside for a week now, looking forward to see how some fresh undamaged pitchers look!

D. californica doing well.

S. minor var. okefenokeensis

My S. x readei fall pitchers are just starting to open up.

This pitcher comes with an added surprise.

VFT with a Genista Broom Moth caterpillar (Uresiphita reversalis) half hanging out.

This Genista Broom Moth caterpillar (Uresiphita reversalis) has been stuck in this fly trap for the past couple of days. I don't generally feel much sympathy for the insects that my plants catch, but I felt really bad for this one. Half of its body stuck in the trap being dissolved while the other half clings to life.

Shortly after filming this video I put it out of its misery, for its own sake. :(

Last edited:
I saw this ladybug crawling around my Dionaea muscipula "typical" and set up the camera to catch its unfortunate death. Normally I would've moved the ladybug away from the plant as I like to keep them around, but I sacrificed this one for the video. I think it was worth it.

I stopped filming a bit too early as this bug's struggles were rewarded with its freedom. I should've expected that it would escape from this D. capensis as I have seen this type of bug escape from Drosera before. They seem to have a knack for it.

Last edited:
Back