User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How many gallons of water do you use a months and how much do you pay?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use about 150-175 gal of ro per month, but most of that goes to my aquarium maintenance business. I normally use rainwater for all my plants, and have about 400 gal of storage capacity. I don't know how much I actually use, but unless I forget the water is running and empty the vessels by mistake, I never run out, including when I used about 200 gal this spring in the initial fill of my new bog.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have usually used rainwater, don't pay anything, but also found another free option that comes with having an air conditioner drain that's open to access: the air conditioner dehumidifier condenses the water in the air and thereby it's technically pure and distilled, so while I use probably upwards of 50 gallons a month plus due to outside plants, I collect more than I ever use up, at least during summer.
    During winter, I melt snow.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I steal water from my parents place (about an hour and a half away), it is also where I have my greenhouse, bog gardens and ponds, they have a mountain stream filled with D.adelae, so I figure the water from their bore must be pretty safe, and so far it has never let me down.

For my plants at uni I normally go through about 40-45gallon per fortnight (atleast that's how much I get each time), but the greenhouse at my parents runs misters and the bog gardens are watered by sprinklers, so easily over 50gallonL used a fortnight there.

But I don't have to worry much as it is free (and gives me a reason to shoot off to the greenhouse and check on everything).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it would provide a lot more context if people posted how many plants they are watering as well. One capensis is going to need a lot less water than a tray full of Sarracenia.

I have about 10 plants and use 2-3 gallons a week. Our tap water is good enough to use, but I've still been buying distilled water for a dollar a gallon at the store (drought conditions.) As my collection grows I'll probably switch back to tap water assuming we get some real rain!
    Last edited by BaseDrifter; 09-09-2014 at 03:24 PM.

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all of my Sarracenias and VFTs live outdoors year round with a few sundews in my bog. On the rare occasions they require water (only once this past summer), it comes from my rain barrel, so my water expense for my outdoor bog is zero.

Indoors, I have 2 CP stations.

One is my rack, where seeds are germinated (er...attempted) and all of my indoor dews, and one ping live along with 2 small intermediate neps. That whole setup might use a gallon or two of water per week.

The other is my 55gallon Lowland tropical terrarium, home to 6 different lowland neps. Since it's pretty well enclosed, and runs a fan to keep the air from getting too stagnant, it requires little attention from me. I open it once a week or so to water and feed/fertilize as necessary. I use about 1/2 gallon of water each week doing this.

Again, during non-freezing months, water is free. The rest of the year, it's 90 cents per gallon.
    Jen- My Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...00#post1154900
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

The sticky ones are my favorite. Tacks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have around 60 small-to-medium pots with sundews inside under lights, and 10 larger pots outside with Sarrs and a VFT. I buy distilled water at $1/gallon, and probably use 30 gallons a month. Water is my second-biggest CP expense, and I'd love to find a cheaper way to do it. I live in the East Bay of the SF Bay Area, and I've heard our water is relatively low ppm, but my indoor plants are 100% tray with no top watering, so I'm anxious about mineral accumulation. I've considered building a solar distiller, but haven't sat down to really game it out yet.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My tap water is approx. 180-200 TDS, so most everything is now on RO water. I go through about 15g a week I'd guess, watering hundreds of plants, I might be closer to a thousand by now.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My plants in the house probably on average a gallon or a bit more a week. Outside, three to five gallons a day at this time of year. Some days a bit more. That is just for the tanks, tubs and trays. A bit more if you include the ones who get tap water. I save rain water in various containers and buckets. Lots of one gallon containers, and recently I got the tank from an old water softening system. I cleaned it up to get the salt out and set it outside under an overhand to the garage where water drains off during rains. Very spotty now, we have had maybe four decent rain events in two months. Some say if gathering water off a roof, let it 'run' for an hour before collecting. Great, but what if the rain you get lasts ten to thirty minutes? Best case senario, I try to keep 30 to 70 gallons in storage, recently I had gotten down to 2. From time to time, I have to get purified water from the grocery store machine. Last year I bought a lot, no so much this year.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast