Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Importing from AU

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelea View Post
    Mato, why is khasiana an issue?, I get they are threatened in the wild, but they are not native to AU, and dime a dozen, loads of growers have them.
    N. rajah and N. khasiana are the only two species in the genus with a CITES Appendix I designation, which means international trade is essentially forbidden without extensive paperwork and permits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One last question. Lets say I order more than 1000 dollars worth of plants (I only want to do one import and pay for the fees once.) The circular says that I have to make a formal entry if that were the case but the CBP site says that a formal entry is 2500 dollars or more. I know for a fact I will not go over 2500 but I could go slightly over 1000 depending on the specimens they release and if I get some of them. After calling the number listed on the circular and getting no where with any of them, does anyone know which is the correct amount? I would really like to avoid having to hire a customs broker and accrue those fees.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After doing some reading

• Formal - Commercial goods valued over $2,000. IMPORTANT!: $2,000 NON invoice value, but Customs value. Must have a bond.
    • Informal - (1) Commercial goods under $2,000; (2) Any noncommercial goods regardless of value. (3) U.S. goods return valued under $10,000. No bond required.

non-commercial goods are like personal effects or household goods.

However, commercial goods under $2500 can qualify as informal. Customs and Border Patrol can at their discretion declare any shipment as needing a Formal Declaration. Customs value is determined by classification under the Harmonized Tariff Schedules.

Actual duty amount cannot be determined until the shipment has been processed by Customs.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 09-30-2014 at 01:14 PM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12