What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Importing from AU

So after much research on previous threads about importing plants nepenthes hybrids from EP, I think I have everything down but would like conformation still. Also if i am not aloud to talk about companies other than flytrapshop then if possible could the mods just delete the thread.

I need:
PPQ 587 and 621
The port of entry I have selected will be Atlanta.
Phyoto will be included by EP
I will include stickers and permits in the package I send to EP as well as info on how to contact me. A shipping label will be made once it is in the country at the correct port.

Things I don't know.
After calling around and researching for a very long time these are the things that I am not sure on:
Do I need a fish and wildlife cites permit?- the plants I would like are all artificial hybrids so I believe it would be no.
Do I have to pay a tariff? - again I believe it is no because I am planning on growing them.
Is there anything else that I could have possibly left out. ( I hope not with how much time I have spent on this)

I am looking into getting 15-20 total plants and no CITES 1 or 2 plants, just hybrids of those plants. I figure it would actually be cheaper for me to go through all of this trouble rather than dealing with an importer who will significantly mark up the price per plant. However, I don't want to screw up this order and if I have to get the fish and wildlife CITES permit then I may be waiting until next spring due to processing time anyways.

Thanks for all of the help hope I didn't do anything terribly wrong any help would be greatly appreciated.

I also found this on the fish and wildlife page online and was thinking this clarified my suspicion. However, the government makes things very confusing and I don't like it at all .... but... Ill hopefully be able to work it out sometime in the future.

Plant exemptions.
Are some plant parts, products, or derivatives exempt from CITES or ESA controls? All living or dead plants listed under CITES and/or ESA require permits or certificates, including artificially propagated plants, hybrids, plant parts, products, and derivatives with a few exceptions. Under CITES, the exempt parts, products, and derivatives of Appendix-II plants and artificially propagated Appendix-I hybrids are: (a) seeds, spores, or pollen; (b) cut flowers of artificially propagated plants or hybrids; and (c) seedling or tissue culture in vitro in solid or liquid media transported in sterile containers. See cactus and orchid exemptions for specific exemptions for species in these families. Under the ESA, seeds of endangered plants require permits to be imported or exported. Seeds of threatened plants require permits if the seed came from wild plants, but do not require permits if the seeds are from artificially propagated plants. A label stating that the seeds are of cultivated origin must accompany the shipment of such seeds

http://www.fws.gov/permits/faqs/FaqNOPQ.html - link to the page

Last edited:
When only considering Exotica, you're all set under the "I need" category. You don't need anything from Fish and Wildlife, unless you plan to import N. rajah or N. khasiana, but there aren't many nurseries who will go to the trouble of shipping those. The only other thing I recommend getting is a shipping account with UPS, which will make it easy for the inspection agents in Atlanta to forward your plants to you (although you can use FedEx, USPS, or whatever you want). Once tracking shows the plants have arrived at the APHIS facility you've designated, you'll simply call them and provide the inspection agent with your UPS account number and then he/she will forward the plants directly to you. The whole process is a lot simpler than it sounds.

Ok the lady who I talked to made it sound like I had to have it, however, she didn't seem to sure of it herself. I just want to make sure that I do everything correctly because I don't want to loose all those plants, if I don't get them I at least want them to survive so we can see the great pictures of them!

You shouldn't need CITES or FWS permits. Hybrids are not covered by CITES or the ESA. If the parcel is shipped Parcel Post APHIS will forward it. It is only when it is shipped by private or expedited carriers (Fed-Ex, DHL, EMS, UPS etc.) that you need to supply shipping from APHIS to the final destination.

If you are importing 12 or less plants you don't need the PPQ 587 permit, just the phytosanitary and maybe potato nematode certificates. The shipment still has to go to the APHIS quarantine inspection center before being shipped to you.

Last edited:
You shouldn't need CITES or FWS permits. Hybrids are not covered by CITES or the ESA. If the parcel is shipped Parcel Post APHIS will forward it. It is only when it is shipped by private or expedited carriers (Fed-Ex, DHL, EMS, UPS etc.) that you need to supply shipping from APHIS to the final destination.

If you are importing 12 or less plants you don't need the PPQ 587 permit, just the phytosanitary and maybe potato nematode certificates. The shipment still has to go to the APHIS quarantine inspection center before being shipped to you.

With this being said, for most of your importations involving Nepenthes, you will want everything you had listed under "I need." I wouldn't hesitate to include 587 and 621 (they're just copies) with the order, despite their hybrid origin. Some inspection agents will ask for the permits regardless. Also, shipping via parcel post as Warren suggested is much, much slower than with a private carrier and isn't recommended and possibly not even an option with some of the more established nurseries.

PPQ 621/622 cost is $70.00 for the permit. PPQ 622 is for the commercial importation of CITES material

Note if plants are seedling or tissue cultures obtained in vitro, in solid or liquid media, transported in sterile containers CITES is not required.

I recommend you download and read the following:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/permits/downloads/q37-1circular.pdf
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/permits/downloads/q37-2circular.pdf
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/permits/downloads/ePermits_FAQs.pdf

Last edited:
Mato, why is khasiana an issue?, I get they are threatened in the wild, but they are not native to AU, and dime a dozen, loads of growers have them.

Mato, why is khasiana an issue?, I get they are threatened in the wild, but they are not native to AU, and dime a dozen, loads of growers have them.

N. rajah and N. khasiana are the only two species in the genus with a CITES Appendix I designation, which means international trade is essentially forbidden without extensive paperwork and permits.

One last question. Lets say I order more than 1000 dollars worth of plants (I only want to do one import and pay for the fees once.) The circular says that I have to make a formal entry if that were the case but the CBP site says that a formal entry is 2500 dollars or more. I know for a fact I will not go over 2500 but I could go slightly over 1000 depending on the specimens they release and if I get some of them. After calling the number listed on the circular and getting no where with any of them, does anyone know which is the correct amount? I would really like to avoid having to hire a customs broker and accrue those fees.

After doing some reading

• Formal - Commercial goods valued over $2,000. IMPORTANT!: $2,000 NON invoice value, but Customs value. Must have a bond.
  • Informal - (1) Commercial goods under $2,000; (2) Any noncommercial goods regardless of value. (3) U.S. goods return valued under $10,000. No bond required.

non-commercial goods are like personal effects or household goods.

However, commercial goods under $2500 can qualify as informal. Customs and Border Patrol can at their discretion declare any shipment as needing a Formal Declaration. Customs value is determined by classification under the Harmonized Tariff Schedules.

Actual duty amount cannot be determined until the shipment has been processed by Customs.

Last edited:
Back