What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Only wanted some pots but ended buying something else

Super happy about those square pots but couldn't resist. I mean I was gonna get charged 10 bucks for shipping I might as well buy some plants.

IMG_2328_zps27781f0f.jpg

Been buying a lot of bare root plants and I realized today that there's something really awesome about having them pre-potted. I can just plop them into the tray and don't have to mix soil blah blah blah. Even though it's fun sometimes.

IMG_2321_zpsd9f842d4.jpg

Drosera Alicia
IMG_2324_zps9a37db94.jpg

D. Capensis "narrow red leaf"
IMG_2326_zps8bb369b5.jpg

S.Leucophylla
IMG_2327_zpsad0565fd.jpg

Last edited:
Look at that leuco with a free capensis! I do like potted vs. bare root, but only if it was grown in that pot for the season....don't pot me up a plant before shipping, I could do it myself just as well!

Hmmmmm that's a really good point about whether its pre-potted or re-potted. I'll have to look out for that.

Man, getting laughed at by magicarp is meh......lol

When your first picture loaded, I thought, He bought a dog? :-))

Have you been California Carnivores? Seeing as you're in the Bay Area, it's definitely worth a visit!

Last edited:
Is that some sort of Utricularia growing in the Alicia and Capensis pots?
Nice new plants!

Is that some sort of Utricularia growing in the Alicia and Capensis pots?
Nice new plants!

Knowing where he got those, it's almost guaranteed that there's U. bisquamata growing in the D. aliceae pot, yes. He'd be wise to remove those before they become a pest. Whoops - too late! LOL

Or worse, it could be the cleistogamous form of U. subulata. Then it doesn't even produce marginally pretty flowers.

how should i remove the bladderworts? Do I just repot them with my own soil?

Controlling Urticularia bisquamata is not as difficult as Paul would have you believe. If you have access to a military flamethrower it's no problem at all.

Controlling Urticularia bisquamata is not as difficult as Paul would have you believe. If you have access to a military flamethrower it's no problem at all.

Ha ha ha ha! +1 Mr. G.

On a more serious note, if you clip off the flowers before they set seed, it shouldn't spread invisibly. After that, just don't get any soil containing stolon pieces mixed with any other soil.

H-E-L-P

Well, I tried and failed. It's really hard!!! they're pretty well established in the soil, esp under the Aliciae.???

Let's pray to Zeus and Athena that they haven't reproduced yet.

Question, should I just uproot and repot the plants into new soil? I feel like that's a for sure way to do this. Some of the annoying Bladderworts are growing near the root. GOSH so annoying.

Last edited:
take leaf cuttings or root cuttings that are rinsed well and you might get a clean plant in the future. emphasis on might.....

If you mean cleaning them off of the D. aliciae, it's pretty much impossible for the plant you have. As Mach said, start over from a leaf cutting. The utric won't harm your D. aliciae, but it is rather annoying.

On the other hand, if you want to prevent them from spreading to other pots, just make sure you clip the flowers every time they pop up. As long as it doesn't set any seed, then it shouldn't spread.

People would rather get potted plants that are growing carpet moss and have weeds (the utric in particular) than having fresh clean media? I repot fresh all potted ordered plants, because *I* don't want that kind of stuff being shipped to me. In fact, if I can only get it potted, I transplant it anyway. I guess that's just me 0_o

CarnivoreGirl

I think I"ll head up there in 2 weeks. It's an 2 hour drive..... eh. But worth it I guess

Ya okay, well I learned my lesson on the pre potted.

You know, I actually bought some U.bisquamata back in the day on purpose. It does a great job of keeping down the moss and peat in the pygmy dew pots, but I realize I'm the antichrist for even suggesting it's not a weed...

I think I"ll head up there in 2 weeks. It's an 2 hour drive..... eh. But worth it I guess

Ya okay, well I learned my lesson on the pre potted.

Have I told you yet that your icon makes me crack a smile every time I see you post?

Anyway, I'd make the trip. It's amazing to walk through his greenhouses. I've even gone up from San Diego to go see what's in stock when I was on the hunt for a particular plant.

I"m just being whiny.... I should prob go scrap off the top soil.....
I def would prefer to not have that plant in all of my pots

Glad you like the icon :)

Back