What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help, My New Boss Saw My TF Calender and Now......

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
Help, my new boss saw My TF calender and he wanted to have a vft for his office. I explained their requirements and the dormancy and he was crushed. His next request then was a cp that he could grow under a light in his office. Before I try to convince him to get a small tank to grow something in I am looking for sugestions. He would need a cp that can grow in the typical office humidity without dormancy. Although I do grow more than a few of the neps featured in "Neps Around the House" none of them have been acclimated to low humidity in my care. I honstly do not think he would appreciate the not so obvious traps of a utricu or the deceptive smooth leaves of a ping. At least not as his first plant. I do have a N.red leopard with several basals. I may root one and grow it out in low humidity as a future gift to him. Maybe I'll do two, got plenty of basals, and put one in my office as well.

Thanks in advance guys,

Last edited:
What about something like a pot of Drosera burmanii kept in a deep saucer of water underneath the light? They're pretty, the traps react relatively quick, are compact and dewy. Drosera capensis is also a good one because of the way it curls around its prey.

Drosera capensis would be a good choice. Mine do well in low humidity and under grow lights. I tend to recommend them to new growers because they are an "interactive" CP. Also, because they are inexpensive, it wouldn't be a huge loss if he killed it. Hope this helps!

I too would suggest dews or perhaps a ping. (While the traps of the latter are not obvious as such, the fact that some bloom nonstop might outweigh that.)

I agree, D. capensis is among the first to come to mind. You almost have to try to kill them. :p

The next best would probably be other SA Drosera or D. spatulata/x tokaiensis, followed by easy LL/Intermediate Nepenthes hybrids.

Last edited:
D. capensis and D. binata are both 'bonbproof' and attractive. I've started several co-workers off with them.

I'm thinking of taking the advice here and starting him with D. capensis. Later i will gift him with one of N. red leopards I referred to in the opening post.

Great idea. Just googled N. red leopard- they're gorgeous! Lucky boss. Are you guys hiring? haha jk.

I would second D. capensis and D. binata. Binata is especially indestructible, and looks more unusual than the typical capensis.

I would second D. capensis and D. binata. Binata is especially indestructible, and looks more unusual than the typical capensis.

I can actually give him one of each. Have some extras.

I was going to suggest a Drosera as well. A pot of something hardy like capensis or intermedia would do well under a light in an office, I think.

I agree, go with The Cape Sundew! I would also suggest telling your boss to feed them moistened fish pellets (betta sized) as they feed better on moistened food in a dry-ish environment. Also with Cape Sundews, if he likes the plant you give him, you can later set him up with the many forms (albino, red, wide, etc.)

Good Luck!

i think a pinguicula would be perfect they take any water and does not require lots of light

Back