Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: NemJones Photo Vault

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS: the new growth I eventually got has been consistent in producing non-distorted leaves and pitchers. The uppers are a real delight:
    [IMG]https://**************************************/2015/07/img_0863.jpg[/IMG]

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not quite the same but has similar effects: I notice my glabrata gets funky leaves and growth that is scarred before it unfurls every time the summer heat returns...
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are really nice whim.. Maybe mine still has a chance.
    And Carlton, It seems like this one ALWAYS as the really strange scars and slow growth.
    Just a really strange plant.

anyways, I have fully submerged plants into the
    main chamber. Things seem to be going really well.

The fluid line after 24 hours in the new tank.
    There has never once been so much liquid in these pitchers!

Dying pither and low growth point of the strange spectaXaristo Hybrid.

New pitcher. This picture is 3 days old, however the pitcher just opened today.
    This is the lowest growth point on the stem now. all 3 other growth points have become
    useless.

By useless, I mean they have de-volved into small, curly tidbits that no longer seem
    to have the urge to inflate.

Should I cut the stem and let it restart??

Rescued Sago

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy crap nem, that last picture is artsy as heck. I love it. Looks like something Id use as a wallpaper haha
    ~Burgeoning connoisseur of all things ventricosa or otherwise tubby.~

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nem,
    those distorted growing points have discoloration on them that suggests there is something going on besides possible chimaera tissue distortion. Too many consistently warm nights followed by 80F+ days in an enclosed space will cause that kind of growth distortion on aristolochioides and its hybrids. Have you investigated for Thrips/mites? That too could be responsible. It's possible you have more than one problem occurring here.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long has the plant with the distorted growing point been in your care? How old is the plant itself? Do you fertilize? If so, frequency, type of feed, and amount would be helpful.

Definitely check for thrips. If you can't find thrips, the cause is going to be my preliminary guess.
    Last edited by theplantman; 07-22-2015 at 07:31 AM.

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Nem,
    those distorted growing points have discoloration on them that suggests there is something going on besides possible chimaera tissue distortion. Too many consistently warm nights followed by 80F+ days in an enclosed space will cause that kind of growth distortion on aristolochioides and its hybrids. Have you investigated for Thrips/mites? That too could be responsible. It's possible you have more than one problem occurring here.
    I check for mites every night, but never find any pests. Also, my chamber always sits at 82 in the day time.
    That may be the issue, and im trying to build a mini swamp cooler to drop temps more at night. However,
    Wouldnt it do that on ALL growth points it it was too hot and not just a few?

Quote Originally Posted by theplantman View Post
    How long has the plant with the distorted growing point been in your care? How old is the plant itself? Do you fertilize? If so, frequency, type of feed, and amount would be helpful.

Definitely check for thrips. If you can't find thrips, the cause is going to be my preliminary guess.
    Ive had the plant about a year and a half now. Itself, is probably about 2 years old. The distortion and growth splitting occured about 6 months ago out of the blue. No fertilizations.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NemJones View Post
    I check for mites every night, but never find any pests. Also, my chamber always sits at 82 in the day time.
    That may be the issue, and im trying to build a mini swamp cooler to drop temps more at night. However,
    Wouldnt it do that on ALL growth points it it was too hot and not just a few?

Ive had the plant about a year and a half now. Itself, is probably about 2 years old. The distortion and growth splitting occured about 6 months ago out of the blue. No fertilizations.
    Mites shouldn't be causing any distortions like that. Thrips can, but you'd certainly be seeing them by now (or at least the black fecal spots) if you had some. They'd need substantial numbers to do that kind of damage.

I'd say it's running out of calcium, in which case you should definitely (a) consider adopting a fertilization regime and (b) grab some Neptune's Harvest, Dyna-Gro, or other liquid feed that contains Ca. Foliar feeding fixes it the quickest. Furthermore, if you provide good nutrition, your plants will be less prone to any pest infestation, should it occur. It'll also improve the temperature tolerance of your plant (especially K).

The signs I'm looking at: On your 5th photo, note that the meristem is very chlorotic compared to the outermost parts of the new leaves. That's a deficiency pattern and cannot be induced by any pest I know of. On the second to last photo, you can also note the primordial leaves are curled and distorted, which is also typical of Ca deficiency. Two years under good growing conditions is an awful long time for any plant to continue growth without nutritional supplementation.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast