What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Everythings looking great Nem!

very sharp Ferrocactus
HkieCiM.png

Starfire Aloe
zW10gnI.png

Unknown Hooked Cactus
xROgwfD.png

Jade Plant and unknown succulent
8r5Y3Y5.png

Nepenthes Spectabilis X aristo Finally putting out exceptional growth and pitchering.
wCWq7Zs.png

Heavy nectar amounts.
0zSPEjb.png

The backs of these pitchers are spectacular.
HdfzYhJ.png

A few months ago, there was deliberation upon this plant being a chimera.
Indeed, the growth tip has split. This plant has two growth points!
Lg9vq9d.png

Side view
ttPtmDr.png

TJ's Dionaea Muscipula cross seedling
hk7tXNd.png

Dang man, that Nepenthes is really taking off!

Last edited:
The new addition. A ventricosa

mwpkRBJh.jpg

With basals

kNZR4Kqh.jpg

Nepenthes Spectabilis Giant seedling

FQYz1crh.jpg

Nepenthes Jamban Seedlings

IwkXuC4h.jpg

The secondary growth point is gaining girth
70Hpmexh.jpg

PMm6vybh.jpg

Nepenthes King Tiger X Mirabilis 'kuraburi'
mJ7dzkOh.jpg

eq8yydYh.jpg

YcLIQLqh.jpg

The pitcherless Rafflesiana.
O6Wrr1hh.jpg

These strange dots cover the bottom of ever leaf after a few months.
Could it be disease?
GpYEMZkh.jpg

0YgZJ7Oh.jpg

S7xiEmJh.jpg

t0vPFBjh.jpg

icgVUTIh.jpg

Nepenthes Hamata

A1O6ibuh.jpg

2LDFTsjh.jpg

jc9EHRLh.jpg

I really feel like pitchers should be larger by now..

PXtinc7h.jpg

Truncata Pasian
V2wbdb8h.jpg

I feel as this one should have larger pitchers by now as well
49KZQaJh.jpg

Wow your N. Hamata is looking nice. Last time I saw it, it still had green peristomes :)

I wonder why that Nepenthes King Tiger X Mirabilis 'kuraburi' has such puny pitchers compared to its massive leaves? Never seen that before.

Haha thanks, its finally beginning to color up.
Im thinking about moving it to the high powered lights
and try to acclimate it to 20% lower humidity soon.

And really? I thought the pitchers were proportional..
Currently, that plant holds champion for largest pitchers.
Each one is about the size and width of my thumb and
getting a little bigger. The pitchers are more squat / tubby than elongated as well.
The thing that Im really curious about are the leaves themselves; they are paper thin and always have been.

Well I hope the acclimation goes well.

Yeah all of my plant's have pitchers that are ABOUT 80% the length of their leaves. My ventricosa "black" is an exception with pitchers about 20% bigger than its leaves. Your King Tiger looks weird in my eyes with its huge leaves but not huge pitchers.

By the way Nem, your inbox is full!

Thanks sash! also, time for more photos

Nepenthes Spectabilis X Aristo Chimera

This plant just gets weirder every time I inspect.
Not only has it grown 2 central growth points, but
now its sprouting a basal.

ajujxZbh.jpg

A2bNi0lh.jpg

Cooling time.

tWoM0igh.jpg

THe previous pitcher of Nepenthes Hamata

88N7I6ph.jpg

Its opening...

lVgfn9bh.jpg
[/IMG]

dnfgsDNh.jpg

VPB0pfLh.jpg

OkIfLm7h.jpg

Nepenthes Spectabilis Giant

6p6kxSPh.jpg

Almost a dime now. Its finally made the transition off of
the infant pitchers. there are now tendrils

66e5kG3h.jpg

4XnCsNah.jpg

3436YYnh.jpg

I had 7 seeds of Byblis guehoi and 7 of B. Filifolia. One Guehoi survived but the rest perished of them perished :(
This one must make it..

doiAkxRh.jpg

Drosera Capensis
pJMbHbjh.jpg

[Top] - Sarracenia Oreophylla
[Bottom] Sarracenia Jonesii
ckfVkpAh.jpg

Outdoor bog
vmppymzh.jpg

VFT flower stalk! Seeds on the way hopefully
5y5Y3i7h.jpg

Last edited:
That Nepenthes Spectabilis X Aristo is very cool looking! I'm still really curious as to why your Rafflesiana is not growing well seeing as you have really good conditions & high humidity.

Lookin good Nem, just fyi that vft will self pollinate.

That Nepenthes Spectabilis X Aristo is very cool looking! I'm still really curious as to why your Rafflesiana is not growing well seeing as you have really good conditions & high humidity.

Im beginning to think it needs something. My best guess is that it PROBABLY wants more Light.
The plant grows fine, however it just doesnt pitcher. I was tempted to try a coffee treatment,
but decided to hold off for a bit. I have 2 racks, one is a bit underpowered and the other runs a bit chillier
than what the rafflesiana may like. I may have to make some new arrangements now that you said that.

Lookin good Nem, just fyi that vft will self pollinate.

OH dear. My bad, Still learning about them. Very very strange plants.
Also that makes me extremely excited. because there are two flowerstalks coming!
Thats the first VFT ive kept alive over a year, and also catches more insects than any other plant Ive owned.
Not to mention the largest too. IT seems to be very skilled in that art.

Perhaps the babies will be too.:0o:

Last edited:
Great update Nem! That chimera is starting to look like the Leaning Tower of Tendrils.

Your S. seedlings are huge too! Have you happened to have sewn those S. jonesii seeds yet?

Flytraps will self-pollinate, but only under manual pollination. Anthers open after the stigma is no longer receptive, so new flowers must be used to pollinate older flowers.

Great update Nem! That chimera is starting to look like the Leaning Tower of Tendrils.

Your S. seedlings are huge too! Have you happened to have sewn those S. jonesii seeds yet?
I was due to plant today, but forgot so I will have to do that tomorrow..

Flytraps will self-pollinate, but only under manual pollination. Anthers open after the stigma is no longer receptive, so new flowers must be used to pollinate older flowers.
I didnt know that either! thank you, Sounds like im going to have to store some pollen

Sorry, had that backward. New flowers do pollinate the older flowers, because anthers are open first, then the stigma later.. :)

Update: More Mutagenic growth detected.

But first - D. Dichrosepalata (?)
NmbrsSUh.jpg

gmBujbph.jpg

Nepenthes Spectabilis X Aristo

9thU5RKh.jpg

The top growth tip Never seems to actually pitcher, but it keeps growing taller.
The underleaves scar before theyre even un-sheathed from the previous leaf.
nDx0Ik2h.jpg

However, the Mid growthpoint continues on. This PhytoHydra is going to be a mess in the future.

5RbwF2Uh.jpg

Pitcher with Background Basal.

2Y0atAyh.jpg

Basal leaves with Healthy Inflating pitcher on bottom growth.

6JL0VA6h.jpg

My Dew Pot invader has gone to seed, and I missed the blue bloom..
rOLPlIDh.jpg

Pygmy Hybrid - Ill look if anybodys ever interested.

k2C7lloh.jpg

The common TC batch of spectabilis x aristo is all screwed up. My plant is very similar, and so was the one I had before that that I replaced hoping to get something healthier. I'm not really sure what to do with the plant. Throw it away? Doesn't seem tradable.

I believe the BE tissue cultured aristolochioides X spectabilis is severely messed up*. In fact, I think the clone is a chimaera which eventually manifests as a distorted growing point, as you are currently seeing. I had this happen with my plant and the solution was to remove the growing point and force a node further down to grow and take over. Good luck.

*by "messed up" I am NOT implying this plant has been damaged by tissue culture. Sometimes chimaeras are naturally occurring phenomena that are not the result of tissue culture practices. It's impossible to know for certain where this distortion came from.

Last edited:
Back