What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this mold/fungus or is it spider webs?

I think this are spider webs but this is the first time I've seen such white things on my plants, so I want to ask just in case. My plants are outside in full sun.

help?

IMG_2548_zpsbc856bc8.jpg

IMG_2550_zps7fc2e7b6.jpg

Damn it, what is the best way to get rid of them? Also I bought this plant from the nursery 2 weeks ago, did it came with the plant?

can i submerge the plant as treatment?

Last edited:
I've read that spider mites do not like being submerged but have never tried it myself. I've used dry ice many times to kill off a variety of pests, just make sure you know what your doing or you could end up with a pressure bomb...

Since CO2 is heavier than normal air you can just "pour" the CO2 released from the dry ice into a fish tank type container and then loosely cover it, so your AC/heating does not mix the normal air with the CO2. DO NOT seal the dry ice container or you can really hurt yourself, like loosing hearing or fingers. Dry ice is also very VERY very cold. Frostburn cold, wear gloves when handling.

Generally plants love the CO2 treatments and follow up with a short growth spurt. Just make sure you google around before using this method as it can be dangerous.

Keep in mind that spider mites lay eggs and you will have to repeat whatever treatment you pick atleast a few times.

woah, is there something else more simple?? That sounds super complicated and I don't know where to get dry ice :( .......... Btw i just saw a jumping spider, could it be it's nest?

Its near Halloween, Dry Ice will be in every major grocery store now if not really soon. I generally try to stay away from pesticides since I grow 99% in terrariums and the pesticides would always be in there.

Google Spider mites, I'm sure there are 100 different methods out there.

I have mass murdered thousands of those mites. I hate them with every fiber of my being.

I dont know how well cp type plants would react to this, but when i hAd mighty battles with them,
I would mix isopropyl and water 50/50 then spray the plants weekly with this. However, you would have
To be careful, as the mites are near the soil.

I have had excellent luck with a produc from a local store called Wipe Out (also locally made...) It is composed of Cinnamon, Citronella, and Thyme oils. Perhaps you can find something similar? there are lots of things available for spider mites.

woah, is there something else more simple?? That sounds super complicated and I don't know where to get dry ice :( .......... Btw i just saw a jumping spider, could it be it's nest?

Doesn't really look like a salticid hide to me. Those tend to be denser and less spread out in my experience.

Keep it simple here. The mites don't like getting flooded, and your Sarracenia won't care a single bit. You can keep your plant flooded indefinitely without any ill effect. Some other methods will be effective as well, but flooding is cheap, simple, and safe.

i shall submerge it right away. 2 to 3 days should do?

i shall submerge it right away. 2 to 3 days should do?

Where's the rush? Flood it and you can let it dry down on its own, however long that takes. The longer it's flooded, the more likely you are to get everything. No sense/need to dump perfectly good water in the meantime, and you probably don't want to use the effluent to water your other plans.

Addition: Note that when I say "flood," I don't mean that the entire plant needs to be submerged. If you can see water sitting above the soil line, that'll do most of your job for you. If the water line is below where the mites seem to be and you can't raise the water level, just spray some water on the affected areas to try to knock everything down.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification, i was thinking how should i submerge this plant. LOL. and i won't use the water to water other plants :p.

Back