Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Confused About Aphids

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience I've found that aphids are one of the few pests that are relatively easy to "kick". I don't have any specific method of doing so, but I've found that if I can get the plant back on its feet and do one or two eradication attempts that the aphids will usually phase out and not be much of a problem. If they don't go away they usually just attack one specific plant and hang out there. This is compared to things like thrips, spider mites, and scale, which in my experience, are all much more ravenous and difficult to deal with. Those species seem to love getting into every single plant in my collection and then hanging around forever and being impossible to kill completely!!!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few years ago I looked into dry ice. Just never was able to get hold of it, in small quantities. What's with flower stalks that seem to be the most visible place for them?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remove them physically with a hand spray bottle set on stream ("squirt gun mode"). Treat with Neem oil. Neem oil should be effective on both reproductive cycles and take care of any eggs. Neem Oil only has a persistence of 3-4 days so repeat a couple times a week for a couple of weeks.

I would imagine there is a high flow of nutrients to the ovaries in the flowers making the stalks a prime feeding area.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for sharing this topic. I seem to have an aphid problem with my Pinguiculas. Would it be safe to use the Neem oil or the alcohol concoction to eradicate the aphids?

Mona

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Jim,

What are the ratios in the alcohol /water/dish soap concoction?

Thanks
    Mona
    Last edited by roge43219; 03-21-2016 at 11:03 AM.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check this link out:

Homemade Spray for Aphids

The alcohol solution would give the immediate effects of knocking down the existing population. But likely, there are more generations to follow. So neem oil would be a good way of controlling them, over time. There are a variety of approaches out there. For small plants, immersion in water is pretty effective. Personally, I'm not in favor of man-made insecticides. i would rather go with water or CO2 or neem oil. But that's me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jim.

Would it be safe to use the Neem oil on the Pinguiculas?

Mona

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neem oil should be perfectly safe, though you won't see immediate results. I have read it's supposed to work not by killing the aphids directly, but by disrupting their behavior - preventing them from eating or reproducing. The smell seems to be a bit divisive though, I've read multiple people claiming that it smells like rotten oranges and is so strong they won't use it indoors, but I've only found it to have a mild citrus-ey aroma and most definitely not smell rotten. Perhaps it depends on the brand you buy, I have this: Southern Ag Neem Oil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I have the Safer Brand Neem oil product that I have used on my Cephalotus plants to kill fungus growth, (the white stuff), with good results. I have heard that Pinguiculas are very sensitive so I am hesitant to rush to apply something that may kill the plants. I was also told about Orthene. Has anyone used it with any success (killing the bugs and not the CPs) ?

Mona
    Last edited by roge43219; 03-21-2016 at 11:02 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast