Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Circle of trust

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My biggest peeve is when people never contact me post-trade to let me know they got the package, if it settled in well, or germinated, etc.

I decided a while ago that most of my trades would be for members who have done trades or giveaways of their own, unless it's something I have tons of - like seeds from very prolific Drosera.
    Jen- My Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...00#post1154900
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoness View Post
    My biggest peeve is when people never contact me post-trade to let me know they got the package
    Thats the most common problem I've encountered, and its behavior I find inexcusable. I would also have to state that almost half of the instances I have given away plants for free, I don't even get a "thank you". I was raised to believe that if someone gives you something, you owe them a gesture of appreciation; a simple thank you will suffice. Anything less is rude IMO.
    Last edited by Whimgrinder; 10-31-2014 at 02:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My pet peeve is the cast of characters who show up at giveaways and no place else on the forum. Which is why all my recent giveaways have been for participating members only, participation defined by me.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    My pet peeve is the cast of characters who show up at giveaways and no place else on the forum. Which is why all my recent giveaways have been for participating members only, participation defined by me.
    Precisely. This is the second most persistent issue I see happening here; the "take everything, offer nothing" crowd is alive and well on TF. I suspect some of these people have been propagating the news to friends - "you can get free plants and seeds here and all you gotta do is sign up!" - and so there are dozens of characters whose only participation here is to get on every single giveaway listing.
    Last edited by Whimgrinder; 10-31-2014 at 08:44 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do wish to shake it up a bit sometimes, put something out there that others might find difficult and/or costly to obtain. It has always been considered good form to offer up something in return even if the original poster of the giveaway wants nothing in return. Beginning of the summer lots of stuff came in, later a lot less so. If I participate in a member's giveaway, I always offer up something. Most of the time folks say, "Thanks but no." Which is cool. Not to point fingers but sometimes you get, "check out my growlist" and say x, y, and/or z would be great. So then the answer is this is being treated for aphids or mites, and that is too small, or something. Might be easier to say, check back with me in a month or spring, or whatever. If something is glacially slow growing and pulling a cutting or leaf or stolon is dicey you don't want to do it, unless maybe for something you really wish for. If I offer up something I will do so by name or noid or 'though to be' but never do I want to say look what I have and no you can't have it. At least I hope I don't. That said, most of the people I have traded with have treated me well and fairly. I do still wonder, admittedly off topic, why oh why, is there such a dearth of info about and availability of U. volubilis and AU red Aldrovanda in the US? I saw where someone in the UK and AU (logically) had it respectively, but that is it. Are they hopeless to cultivate, has no one tried? Back on track though, I figure some of us here have at least one plant that just does very well and you most always have it for trade. For me that would be Japanese Aldrovanda. From time to time I will send plants to people without knowing the chances they will live or die. Sort of a given, and not that I want those plants to die, but to give others a chance to try. When you get something in return all the better. Of course for those with slower growing Neps, hyper rare utrics or whatever are in a totally different boat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must agree with all that has been said. It's truly very sad. I feel like the community and activity on here is dwindling, as I certainly remember a much more positive and active community when I joined a couple of years ago... I especially feel like what SubRosa said is very true. Whenever I look over the trading post, I hardly recognize anyone in the comment section who has entered into various giveaways. It's sad that people's greed has overcome their interest in participating on this site. Certainly one of the reasons why I'm not on here as often as I used to be..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps we should require a post in the Introduce Yourself board, and maybe one in Grow Lists as well to participate in the Trading Post. It's rather unfortunate that a few people only out to get free stuff are degrading the experiences of many more.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know that there is a reliable way to enforce that. I'm not a tech wizard, but along that line of thought, perhaps requiring that the first post in the "trading" section be an offering, trade or giveaway before you can sign up to receive.

Then again, that expects people to read, and follow the 'rules'. Which is in and of itself, a super rare phenomenon.
    Jen- My Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...00#post1154900
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast