Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Circle of trust

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought as a relative noob I could chime in.

When you're just starting out it's hard to justify spending a ton of money on plants and killing them. I feel that beginners are the ones who benefit most from giveaways.

We've all killed plants, we've all been noobs at some point. I've only done 1 large giveaway, the rest were discrete and off the public record of forums.
    It sucks that people have swindled you, and I know at least one person has felt swindled by me in our exchanges.
    I've found that giveaways are a lot of work, as much as raising the darn plants sometimes, so I feel you.

However, I don't even know how to become a "green" member. I've briefly looked but I'm still not sure. I've taken advantages of giveaways, but only ones I'm really excited about. Even typical capensis excites me, so I found myself frequently participating in giveaways. The reason I stuck with this hobby is the passion and generosity of the members who make me feel at home.

Even if I feel my posts come off as critical or just straight up weird... People find themselves getting into conversations with me about really random and interesting stuff. I want to give back as much as possible, but for all the noobs out there, I know it's hard to do giveaways, when you yourself don't feel confident in these methods. I encourage you to take things slow if you can. I, like many went too much too fast and ending up loosing plants that would have been healthy and beautiful in some one else's care.

I encourage noobs to also not be too discouraged at failure, but rather inquisitive and be willing to listen to advice.

And a tidbit of my own advice that may or may not be helpful:

Never give up on a CP that is dying. Even if it appears completely dead, there is always a chance (and often a good one) that the plant will restore with new growth in time. I can't emphasize this enough, that plants can die almost completely off and make miraculous recoveries. Don't give up on the noobs you pros, as they are trying not to give up on themselves.
    Last edited by David F; 10-31-2014 at 05:22 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having giveaways is one of the ways that helps the carnivores plant and terra community grow. After receiving several giveaways I hosted one myself. I also became a green member. I'm new and really appreciate Andrew for building this forum and the members who literally make up this community. I'd do anything to support and help this place grow.
    Last edited by ps3isawesome; 10-31-2014 at 06:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finding this thread has really disappointed me. I'm newer to TF. And have done some give away's and won one or two and I really thought our group of plant people were better than that.. . .. I really enjoy doing give aways. And I enjoy winning something new. I really hope people don't ruin this for all of us. On terraforums and on other forums ...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David F View Post
    Don't give up on the noobs you pros, as they are trying not to give up on themselves.
    I think this is nicely said.

I've come to a point where I wonder if being a newbie grower ever ceases. There are numerous species/genera that I would be as green as anyone attempting to grow and in my past I have killed some of almost everything that I could get my hands on. But I learn and I will likely cause the death of other rare and wonderful plants, though with regret. So in some ways I am always the newbie. It's alright with me.

I am a big fan of Terra Forums and I have found the people here to be some of the most knowledgeable and generous I have ever known. That being said I would urge caution in dealings with others you don't know well. There are certainly some deadbeats out there. We are a world-wide forum open to anyone - something I wouldn't ever want to see change. I can't say I have seen much of an overall change in the make-up of people in the 3 years (has it been only 3 years?) I have been coming here. Trades, conversations, giveaways, even sales are a good way to keep opening the door to new people who have things to offer even if they have never kept a venus flytrap alive successfully. And we all have our quirks and are needing of patience.

'Nuff said.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    And we all have our quirks and are needing of patience.

'Nuff said.
    This, exactly. The carnivorous plant crowd so far as I can tell is one of the most bizarre, diverse and giving/intellectual groups of people I can think of.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    This, exactly. The carnivorous plant crowd so far as I can tell is one of the most bizarre, diverse and giving/intellectual groups of people I can think of.
    Well said.

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to say it, but when I entered TerraForums it was because of an interest in giveaways. However, after actually searching around the forum
    and getting to know people, I feel that this place is a remarkable base of knowledge with many interesting personalities to match.
    I found it to be a much more valuable community and information network, and I really like it here. Its a very unique site that nobody will replicate.
    I intend to be here for a while and giving away unusual and exotic plants in the future for the community to experience as well, however growing takes
    a bit of time and I do feel that Im overdue for a giveaway myself. Many members here have shown me great generosity from an early point, and I would greatly like to
    return the same some day. Like many other members said, giveaways do attract other people. Some good, some bad. Generally, most members that take time and actually
    stick around here have a great deal of value in the community, no matter who they are. Not all noobs are bad people..

Initially Joining TF, I could tell this site has been around for a good amount of time, and it was apparent that activity has begun to dwindle. Searching
    through posts from a year or two ago, it seems that many more members were around, very friendly and helpful to all. Warm and welcoming.
    However.. now it seems the community is quite a bit smaller and is more divided. Its extremely petty to have arguments over the internet and hold a grudge. I think we should embrace each others input and thought, as there is not only one way to do everything. An array of info is what leads to new discoveries and processes. We're all here to learn and help each other in a wonderful hobby. Not to make it more difficult and unfriendly.

Internet sites have their depressions and their peaks. I have wandered the internet for many years, and I enjoy talking with members, hence why I sit in the chatbox. Ive watched many a great site become corrupt and shut down because of communities
    falling apart in activity depressions. The important thing is to embrace each other and try your best to get through it, because it can come back but it depends on the current members ..like seeds to a new generation. Given proper care and good choices, Terraforums will bloom again.
    Last edited by NemJones; 11-01-2014 at 03:19 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have no plans to stop giveaways. I enjoy the feeling of giving without condition and receiving someone's else's gratitude and enthusiasm. From time to time, I enjoy having that same feeling in reverse. And I greatly appreciate all of those folks here who have given me plants to get started, and those who have traded with me (and continue to do so) along the way. You know who you are, take a virtual bow or give yourself a figurative pat on the back. I really appreciate it. If there is a hiccup or two now and again, so be it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast