Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incoming Winter / Dormancy

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Incoming Winter / Dormancy

As we all know, winter is coming. Many growers are now readying Sarracenia and VFTs for the cold,
    however Im still not exactly sure what I have to do, as this is my first winter with CPs that need a dormancy.

Living in zone 5, winters are nightmarish and frigid. I have 2 sarrs (Catesbaei and purpurea)
    along with 2 VFTs. From what Ive read, they should be dormant or very close to it around
    thanksgiving and come out on valentines day. A few hours of light every day with no freezing. (Is this correct?)

I dont have a refrigerator I can place them in, but if that is my last option I will do it. I was discussing this with
    other members and they said that it may be possible to set up a cold insulated Styrofoam box and overwinter them in a shed or something.

If anybody has any ideas or suggestions on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have any unheated rooms/hallways? Maybe a basement window? I live in an apartment in a big old house. There is an unheated hallway with a window that gets just enough light (it's partially blocked by the neighboring house) and that's where my VFTs and sarrs spend the winter, slightly damp but far from wet. It does the trick.

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in a single story house with a crawl space. I could try setting their box in a window or something, but every room is heated.
    Maybe by the kitchen window would work..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zone 5! So lucky! (Zone 4 checking in here!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "winters are nightmarish and frigid"
    I love this word. It is the most flawless description of Winter you could ever come across. It just sounds right too.
    (Pay no attention to the crazy man who likes words.)

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too am in zone 5. My VFT's live in ground, and get no natural light from about Thanksgiving to Valentines day, give or take two weeks. They get covered - with about 3 feet of mulch.
    Jen- My Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...00#post1154900
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With only a few plants your options are many detailed above. I vote for a Styrofoam cooler in your crawl space. Quick and easy. I do recommend waiting ad long as possible to put them there and taking them out as soon as possible.
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm technically in zone 5, and mine usually don't get to sit outside from the end of October through the beginning of May. I keep mine in my basement though, which doesn't really help you if you don't have one. But, it is possible to shut a single room off from heating by closing vents and blocking the spaces under doors, so if you have a room that gets some sun that you can do that with, it could work.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast