User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brother bought a coconut, he bought it for a dime - probably more like a buck fifty -

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David F View Post
    Everyone's real name on this forum is Paul.
    Even DAVID's real name is Paul?

The plot thickens!
    Last edited by Sashoke; 11-12-2014 at 01:16 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only place I've ever seen coconut palms growing in the wild is Florida. I've seen them as far north as Flagler County, not sure what their northern limits are. Occasional frosts may not bother them too much.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't know people actively tried growing coconut palms, they're always already there when you go someplace new haha

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There used to be lots of fan palms and other palms around here back in the 70's lining some of the streets. The odd frost/long term cold event and/or old age or whatever took most of them. There are still a few, and from time to time seeds of Mexican fan palms blow or are dropped into a couple of flower beds of mine and sprout. Transplanting them is dicey, some live most don't. Getting them re-established seems to work best by potting them up and letting them grow out and later planting them out. I recently got a length of sugar cane I am going to fool with a bit and see if it will grow here.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and at a local nursery I saw a large date palm, fifteen or more foot tall, probably closer to twenty. In a very large pot. The asking price? 11K! That one had evidently been outside for some time, so perhaps it is relatively cold tolerant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the note of the sugar cane, its rather easy to grow, and you can root it by sticking it in a bit of water. An odd frost might stunt it, but I don't think it would kill it off completely.

One time I cut down one of the canes that was getting too big and starting to grow up against a window. I was lazy and didn't want to cut it up to throw away, so I stuck it in a bucket of water that had a bunch of concrete in it. A few weeks later the cane had rooted and was growing quite vigorously despite the alkalinity and nasty chemicals in the concrete-water.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good, I will give it a shot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    The only place I've ever seen coconut palms growing in the wild is Florida. I've seen them as far north as Flagler County, not sure what their northern limits are. Occasional frosts may not bother them too much.
    I see them all the time

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast