What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sometimes folks can get a little carried away at auctions

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
We have all been there. Auction fever can overcome even the strongest among us. Today I went to an orchid auction, as most club members did I both donated and purchased plants.
As they are auctioned off the plants are marked with winner's number and bid price and placed in the holding area until their new owners pay for and claim them.
After I claimed my plants and was waiting in line to pay for them I heard the woman behind me exclaim "I don't believe it"
It seems that in the grip of auction fever she had bid on and won her own plant. One she had donated that morning.

:jester: Thats hysterical.

:-))

She saw what she wanted. I guess it was what she had all along.

It's poetic really.

Love that! lol

Haha! :-))

Did something similar at several auctions. I wound up winning several of my own donations trying to get the price up where it should have been to garner more money for the societies coffers. Knowing that if I wanted the plant that I would keep bidding til I got it everyone else stopped bidding, and I was stuck with my own plant. In the end I was usually able to sell the plants to the next highest bidder for their bid amount (or give them to them) after the end of the auction so it wasn't a total loss.

Did something similar at several auctions. I wound up winning several of my own donations trying to get the price up where it should have been to garner more money for the societies coffers. Knowing that if I wanted the plant that I would keep bidding til I got it everyone else stopped bidding, and I was stuck with my own plant. In the end I was usually able to sell the plants to the next highest bidder for their bid amount (or give them to them) after the end of the auction so it wasn't a total loss.

I agree and I have done the same thing with a twist. Very often my daughter-in-law will give me plants from her collection to either keep or donate as I desire. I will donate them and then bid on them as you do, occasionally winning and taking them back home. Makes it more fun then keeping the plants and just donating cash.
But the lady in question said she had not bought the plant on purpose or tried to bid it up. She had simply forgotten that it was one she had donated.

Back