Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eBay sellers : I am curious about your current sales activity levels

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eBay sellers : I am curious about your current sales activity levels

I've been an seller on eBay for a number of years now. I won't say what I sell, simply so it doesn't seem like I'm advertising (I rarely sell plants - so don't ask) but over the last year I have noticed sales dropping off dramatically, yet I have more items listed than ever before. My items for sale have not changed, I still stock the same sort of items which previously sold very well, especially at this time of year (Oct -Jan) when almost everything sells as fast as you can list it. However, sales are almost non-existent this year compared to previous years when I would only list maybe a dozen or so items per week. Nowadays, my eBay shops each have between 100-200 items listed at all times, in a variety of categories and it's becoming more and more rare to see any sales (or even views) despite my top rated seller status and wide selection of items.

So my question is, if you are a regular / career eBay seller, are you still getting the kinds sales you used to compared to one, two or three years ago?

How many items do you tend to have listed at one time?

Have you noticed a point in time at which your sales suddenly dropped off?

Remember don't list your seller name or what you sell, I'm just interested in hearing your experiences, especially over the past 6 months or so.

* If you hate eBay or have some kind of problem with people selling things on it, please don't fill up this post with your complaints. What I'm looking for is a discussion on the issues I've raised.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it isnt exactly an answer, but I used to love Ebay, Id check there everyday to see if there was anything new I might like. Now I barely go there. Ebay might just be getting bland to a lot of people.
    ~Burgeoning connoisseur of all things ventricosa or otherwise tubby.~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a buying view.. I change my search results to USA only because I can't trust anyone . Then check the feedback reports. . If it's good I still buy but I don't buy before I check amazon and Google shopping prices. I still buy the same amount as I used too.. I stopped selling just because of the time commitment it takes.. still think about it all the time because I used to do great. Just too busy...

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for grins google search "Ebay sales down"
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 20-30 auctions we ran this fall went about like they do every year. Why on earth is A selling for 10X its value while B is selling for 1/4th its value.

No change in volume noticed by us, but we list so few items.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My impression:

1) the security breach earlier this year started a slump process that continues to this day; trust issues.
    2) the eBay experience has changed over the years: anything that has any real value and scarcity is likely to end up selling for an exaggerated price, so people like me won't even bother to look at "rare and desirable" stuff.
    3) it's easy for unscrupulous sellers to scam/mislead buyers about an item, and it happens too often. I generally avoid buying old cameras on eBay because without seeing the camera in person, it's impossible to evaluate it truthfully. Photos do NOT tell the whole story. I set aside my hesitation recently and bought a Russian camera from the 1970s after the seller answered some questions for me and assured me the device was in perfect working order. I got the camera and immediately it was apparent that the shutter sticks open ever 4th or 5th attempt to fire it. Once again, I find my suspicions confirmed: you have to assume you are being misled or at least not told the whole truth about an item; eBay comes with inherent risks.
    Along the same lines, three years ago I bought a couple of Nepenthes hybrids from various private growers and as I eventually discovered - I bought plants that the grower was culling from their collection: inferior plants of little value. To be honest, if course - had I known more about the genus at that time I might have seen the "red flags", but the point is that the seller KNEW what they were doing- unloading inferior plants on unsuspecting buyers.
    The bottom line - for me - is that eBay is NOT a "community-of-trust" buying experience. In fact, it is often quite the opposite. I suspect many people have come to a similar conclusion.
    Oh, and I have often heard friends say things like: "You USED TO be able to get so-and-so inexpensively on eBay, but that's not possible anymore - things have gotten unrealistically expensive now, the way people bid on stuff", etc. etc.

---

I know there are plenty of virtuous sellers out there who are trying their best to do good, honest work, but in an environment like eBay where trust issues seem to dominate the market, it's harder and harder to be taken seriously.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 11-24-2014 at 08:43 AM. Reason: off topic portion edited out

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Remember don't list your seller name or what you sell, I'm just interested in hearing your experiences, especially over the past 6 months or so.

* If you hate eBay or have some kind of problem with people selling things on it, please don't fill up this post with your complaints. What I'm looking for is a discussion on the issues I've raised.
    Stay on topic folks. Swords requested not to start bashing ebay. Off topic posts have been deleted.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Stay on topic folks. Swords requested not to start bashing ebay. Off topic posts have been deleted.
    I'm not interested in "bashing" eBay - I am doing my best to provide my honest impressions of the marketplace, given my limited experience using it. I think my comments and observations have some merit. I know you are not citing me specifically as "bashing", but I know some folks will conclude that this is what I am doing, simply by making negative observations.

i thought it was worthwhile citing an example, but not everyone agrees. Oh well.
    Last edited by Whimgrinder; 11-24-2014 at 09:34 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast