What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did I just kill my plants?

Hello everyone,

A week or so ago I stuck a few plants in my fridge so that I wouldn't have to worry about them during their dormancy. Well, this fridge is in my garage, and apparently the garage was cold enough to freeze everything in the fridge, including the plants :headwall:
The roots were definitely exposed to the freezing temperatures, as they're all unpotted and wrapped in damp LFS, however I doubt they were frozen for more than a day or two, as I've been checking up on them pretty consistently.

These are the plants:
a mature S. leucophylla,
a 2 year old S. flava rubricorpora,
a small D. filiformis 'Tracyi',
and two small D. filiformis 'Florida Red'

So what do you all think- are my plants going to be okay? Or are they as good as dead?

The Sarracenia will be fine but, you'll have to watch the 2 filiformis plants. Question though......why would you put the Sarracenia in a refrigerator if you live in NC ? That climate is perfect for them year round.

Thank you for the quick response! I had a feeling the leucophylla would be okay, but I was worried about the flava 'Rubricorpora' because it's so young, and it's native to FL. I hope the filiformis pull through though :/

Question though......why would you put the Sarracenia in a refrigerator if you live in NC ? That climate is perfect for them year round.
Great Question... In all honesty, it was out of pure laziness. I received them in the mail already dormant, but I was in a rush to go to work, so rather than take the time to pot them, I just wrapped them up and stuck them in the fridge.

The Sarracenia will be fine but, you'll have to watch the 2 filiformis plants. Question though......why would you put the Sarracenia in a refrigerator if you live in NC ? That climate is perfect for them year round.

+1

Let 'em be a part of nature.

Back